Webcam for filming?

psesinkclee

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I bought myself a blue snowball usb microphone and love it to death, but now I'm looking to get a webcam so that I can use my new mic with it (my digital camera that I've been filming with doesn't have an input for an external microphone).

I was looking around online and Logitech seems to be the big dog out there, so I was looking into Logitech QuickCam Pro 9000. Its got a carl zeiss lens on it, only 2MP, resolution of 1600x1200, and autofocus.

I'm just worried about the 2MP part, because the camera I've been using is 8MP.

Does anyone else here film using a webcam? I'm looking to spend no more than 200$ on whatever I get.

Thanks.

I'm just worried about the 2MP part, because the camera I've been using is 8MP.

Yeah, but the camera you're using is for taking photographs. Which might be printed out on photopaper, or enlarged, etc. Resolution is important!

But for (presumably) YouTube videos? Where the resolution is less than half a megapixel anyway? Fuggetaboutit. Two megapixels is bordering on overkill, IMHO.

JJ

are there any webcams around for under 50 bucks that would be good on youtube??

What about a camcorder that can be used recording straight to a PC? That way I can set up the snowball as the microphone... maybe :)

I'm really just looking for a way to get to use the Blue Snowball mic for my filmed songs as well as just mp3s.

I've found great results using a Canon powershot still camera on the video setting. I think all of my videos use my webcam.. but I'll try to do the next one with the Canon. I've actually tried 3 different still cameras, and the video function always seems to work very well. It usually saves as a gigantic file, so you'll have to compress it a bit.

I bought a Kodak Zi6 HD camera and wasn't too happy with it, and ended up following Russ' lead and going with the MinoHD. That thing works like a champ. but no external mic input so you would have to do some post processing once you got the video on the computer. But now that I think of it, Russ also uses a snowball (that punk:)) maybe he'll chime in here with a solution for you.

I've had trouble using an external camera while recording audio on the computer. The problem comes from syncing up the audio and video on your computer. My internal clock on the camera was a bit off from my computer, so towards the end of the video, the audio and video was off... something to think about

Top Bottom