Tenor in Ancient Spruce and Ambrosia Maple

BR Ukuleles

Reaction score
For all of you that like pretty timbers.

3000 year Old Sitka Spruce with Ambrosia Maple. Honduran Rosewood fret board and bridge. Curly Jarrah bindings. Gotoh Stealth machine heads and Worth Brown strings.

untitled-4.jpguntitled-5.jpguntitled-7.jpguntitled-8.jpguntitled-3.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Very nice allen. Were you once a professional photographer or do you use a professional photographer?

I can see that your using a professional light/background setup.

Anthony

Fantastic looking ukulele. I really like your bridge design. Very unique. The grain on the spruce looks great.mmwhat gives the spruce the unique color?

Very nice allen. Were you once a professional photographer or do you use a professional photographer?

I can see that your using a professional light/background setup.

Anthony

I do al of the photography myself. Just self taught using a good DSLR and lens and a light tent with a few lights to control the reflections.

Fantastic looking ukulele. I really like your bridge design. Very unique. The grain on the spruce looks great.mmwhat gives the spruce the unique color?

It's mineralization of the timber that was buried under a landslide nearly 3000 years ago, and dug out while excavating for a new factory a few years ago.

Last edited by a moderator:
I do al of the photography myself. Just self taught using a good DSLR and lens and a light tent with a few lights to control the reflections.

Great work. Its the light tent and lights that makes it professional more so than the camera.

Anthony

I love the timbers on the back and sides being a sucker for figure. The top though is certainly different. Not bad, just different. A very unique looking ukulele. The gray (grey?) would take me some time to get used to. I'll bet 3k year-old spruce is gonna be pretty stiff. Hell, that stuff is practically fossilized. Stiff is good. I'll bet it sounds great.

Allen, every time you post one of your ukes I think it can't get any better. However this one looks as though the bar has been raised: this looks stunning, a real beauty.

That is just droolingly well done; in every way, shape, or form. Everything is unique and explicitly executed; can't say enough, but don't want to give you the big head. LOL

That ancient spruce is a knockout; what a fantastic find and treat for you to be in the right place, and right time to procure it. Nice choice on rosette, and I like that is cut on differing sections. Ditto on the sides and back wood. I also like seeing guitar-like pins on the bridge; how are the strings knotted or secured under the pins? (I've seen beads used on another ukulele bridge; was thinking about cutting that part off old guitar strings too).

Just a lovely ukulele, Allen.
I'd be interested to know whether you think the antiquity of the spruce affects the sound ?

Thanks
Robin

The spruce looks amazing, especially with the rosette. How are your nerves after working with that stuff? It must be pricey!

You bet it's expensive. Every move is planned very carefully before commiting.

I also like seeing guitar-like pins on the bridge; how are the strings knotted or secured under the pins? (I've seen beads used on another ukulele bridge; was thinking about cutting that part off old guitar strings too).

I use a 4mm glass bead tied to the end of the string. Un-slotted pins which are specially ordered. Slot the bridge and plate for the string to fit and the bead pulls up against the bridge patch. Under tension I can pull the pins out and the string stays in place.

Just a lovely ukulele, Allen.
I'd be interested to know whether you think the antiquity of the spruce affects the sound ?

It leans towards sounding like a hardwood soundboard that a softwood one.

Top Bottom