Is there any advantage to high-G over Low-G in strumming?

zztush

Reaction score
I think yes!

There are two down beats and two up beats in four-four time shown below. Down beats are always stronger than up beats in general, especially the first down beat is the strongest of the four. They give good rhythm in music. Up beats are weaker than down beats. High-G strings help the weak up beats, but low-G sometimes disturb it, because the thickest string comes last in up beats. We have to manage it.

free image hosting

High-G is very popular in strumming because it gives more ukulele sound and it is also said "same strum sound in either direction". The sound may be same in either direction, but we can play different beats easily in down and up in hight-G. I think high-G has an advantage in strumming. Happy strumming!

Last edited:
I think yes!

There are two down beats and two up beats in four-four time shown below. Down beats are always stronger than up beats in general, especially the first down beat is the strongest of the four. They give good rhythm in music. Up beats are weaker than down beats. High-G strings help the weak up beats, but low-G sometimes disturb it, because the thickest string comes last in up beats. We have to manage it.

Low-G is very popular in strumming because it gives more ukulele sound and it is also said "same strum sound in either direction". The sound may be same in either direction, but we can play different beats easily in down and up in hight-G. I think high-G has an advantage in strumming. Happy strumming!
Did you mean to say Low-G there? That is an interesting tid bit.

The advantage of high-G when strumming is that it actually sounds good to me. ;)

High G is brilliant for strumming. You can get close-voiced chords that just aren't possible with low G. It also opens up possibilities for arpeggiated runs playing fingerstyle that aren't possible with low G.

I agree. There is only one song so far that I enjoy strumming a lo G on. Scarborough Fair, accompanying my friends, only strumming once per 8 counts.
Finger picking works good with both.

Top Bottom