hawaiin music resources

Scotttyd

Reaction score
I have posted a couple of times looking for music/resources. Does anyone have anything for traditional Hawaiian music? From what I read/saw, there is a unique chord progression - or at least a different type of chord - I know I am not using the correct jargon - I remember reading traditional Hawaiian music adds a certain type of chord (meaning a 7th or something) that gives it that unique sound? Also looking for the strum patterns so I can mix and match my own chords and just kind play a Hawaiian jam session :)

thanks!

He Mele Aloha is THE book of Hawaiian songs. Should keep you busy for a long time. Really high quality content, though no instruction.

You might try and get Bryan Tolentino on a Skype lesson. He's one of the most Hawaiian style 'ukulele players around who makes himself available for lessons. Also, Aaron at HMS.

The thing about Hawaiian anything is that it's an oral tradition. To play the music you've got to watch and listen. A lot. A book or webpage simply isn't a substitute. So any time you can get to a concert or workshop - do it! Find Uncle Led on Youtube along with Herb, Bryan, Peter Moon, Raiatea, Holunape, and many more. I can make more recommendations if you can narrow down your focus and interest.

This is the chord pattern you're talking about: http://liveukulele.com/lessons/hawaiian-vamp-turnaround/.

Some of the freely-downloadable older ukulele "methods" contain Hawaiian (or Hawaiian-style) arrangements and instruction on how to play them. Look for N. B. Bailey, Kamiki or May Singhi Breen. Be aware that some of these will be in "D"-tuning rather than "C".

Good luck :music:

Here is a site to pick up some instructional videos, song books and other resources for hawaiian ukulele:

http://808ukejams.com/

I attended the group play-along last week (my first time playing with anyone else other than in introductory classes at the community college). It was a fabulous session with hula, chants, hawaiian songs, holiday music, and hymns. Ill go back each week during my visits to Maui. Jarrett (AKA Kumu Kealoha) is a very friendly and kind teacher. Check it out.

thanks all - yes the Hawaiian vamp is what I was trying to remember - I will go through all of the sites you gave me and check them out - basically just want to learn a few songs and also just be able to jam a bit. I have a hard time remember specific songs - other than a few licks - I can't sing to save my life - which often doesn't give a long of songs credit - so a few jam styles is always good when people ask me to "show me something"

Top Bottom