How Many is optimal?

Joyful Uke

Reaction score
Inspired by Rllink's "How Many" thread:

How many ukuleles do you think is the optimal number? (That might be different from the number that you actually have.)

I used to think that the "right" number would be: 3 reentrant ukuleles, (1 each: tenor, concert, soprano), and 2 linear ukueles, (1 tenor and 1 concert.)

Well, add to that, one that could be loaned out or used in settings that might be a little more hard on a ukulele.

I'm now thinking that's too many, but don't know yet what I would consider the optimal number in my fantasy world. And, I also know that if I find and can afford something that doesn't fit into my optimal number but is a keeper, then my optimal number is going to be ignored anyway. LOL.

Two, one for the beach and one for everything else.

Optimal, for me, would be one. Realistic and practical, for me, would be two or three. That is my eventual goal also.

For me, it's probably somewhere in the 6-10 range. I don't like having things I don't use and for me personally, it is hard to play more than 6-8 with regular frequency. I'm well above that now, so must thin the herd again.

I think the ideal target number is probably 4 - one of each size, or 3 if you throw out the baritone (big/extra bulky).
I live in an apartment, so it would actually be wise for me to downsize a bit, since I don't have a lot of extra storage space.
My wife wanted to take up bass guitar but never really got around to it, so we have that taking up extra uke-space (I could fit 2 in that space!)

For me, 3. One high G, one low G, and one for travel (currently a Flea). However, I have 4, and my wife also has 4. Ukes can be hard to part with.

Good question. I would vote for two also. One in high G and one in low G. For me, I spend my time evenly playing both so that is perfect for me! :)

Something like, a cedar topped bari, a solid spruce concert, solid mahogany tenor necked soprano, solid mahogany tenor necked concert, a laminate concert necked soprano, & maybe a few other laminates - oh, wait, that's what I have. :D

I would love to be in that "High G, Low G, Beater" situation but I also need a six-string, I just love that sound.
So I guess the bare minimum for me would be four.
I currently have 10.
I have some work to do.
I do at least have some variety in there!

More than one....less than 100. I'll let you know when I get there :music:

3. High, low and beater.

Same here, at least that's the thought today. Only thing is I've only used my tenors, and my sons soprano which is too small for my paws. I'd at least like to try a concert which for me buying one to play with for a couple months. So I guess 3, maybe 4.

3. High, low and beater.

I have similar sentiments, but have reduced it a bit more by combining categories. I keep my best (Pono)Bari in whatever is my current fav tuning (which is almost always low D) and the beater Bari is the opposite (currently hi d). So I'm down to 2 baris. I do the same with my sopranos. My LoPr is low g and my beater beach laminate is hi g. I've eliminated concert and tenor altogether.

However many you have +1

Top Bottom