music theory...

takesuoutswitch

Reaction score
i wanna know as much music thory as possible, and even more importantly, how to aplply it to the uke (like a pentatonic lead pattern for the uke or sumtin) i read music theory for dummies, but i dont really feel like it helped out much, what other resources can i use?

Last edited:
Sumtin...

i wanna know as much music thory as possible, and even more importantly, how to aplply it to the uke (like a pentatonic lead pattern for the uke or sumtin) i read music theory for dummies, but i dont really feel like it helped out much, what other resources can i use?

I've found that music theory means noting unless one can apply it. Have you thought of creating and writing out chord melodies for the ukulele?

i agree with craig in this case!

I dont know much about ukulele theory at all. I wish i have some sort of music background but unfortunatly i dont.

I play what ever that sounds good to my ears and not knowing what notes are being pressed. I hope it doesnt make me more less of a player than anyone else.
i Know most of the chords etc... but not the notes in the chord and how they form up.

The book/CD, Ukulele Fretboard Roadmaps is a good place to start. Then keep reading the forums and watching all the instructional vids that are available on the interwebs.

Theory is not essential for people who just want to strum a few songs, but don't listen to anyone who tells you it isn't worth studying. Some parts are more relevant than others, but if you get your head around the right bits then it will transform the way you understand and play music.

No financial interest, but I recommend Chord Wizard Music Theory. They have a couple of other good music tools/educational products too.

A basic grasp of scales and chord theory is a good place to start. Get to understand how intervals work.

It's a mixture of understanding and observation. For some of it you don't need to understand all the complexities of how something works, just observe and get a feel for when and where it works. Some of what you develop will be knowledge, but a lot of it will simply be instinct and recognition of patterns that occur again and again.

Go for it, and good luck. :shaka:

The book/CD, Ukulele Fretboard Roadmaps is a good place to start

I also recomend this book. And if you would like to play nice solos without deep theory knowedgle I suggest you to buy a DVD by Rigk from Risa Instruments about playing the blues on the ukulele. You can find it at http://www.ukulele.de.

Can you locate all of the notes on the fretboard? Can you harmonize the major scale in all keys? Ex. CMaj7, Dm7, Em7, F, G7, Am7, Bm7b5, CMaj7....in all keys. One doesn't really need a book to figure this out...

Top Bottom