How to plug in XLR

JayBzz

Reaction score
Hi folks,

I have a very nice Pepe Romero Spruce Rosewood tenor. It is equiped with a Schertler Resacoil pickup system (XLR plug) which I have never used yet.
Do I just need an XLR - jack adapter ? Is it better to plug directly with an XLR cable to the amp ? Is there any thing to pay attention to ?

I plan on getting a Roland Micro Cube. I would be glad to get feedbacks.

Thanks a lot.

JB

Hi folks,

I have a very nice Pepe Romero Spruce Rosewood tenor. It is equiped with a Schertler Resacoil pickup system (XLR plug) which I have never used yet.
Do I just need an XLR - jack adapter ? Is it better to plug directly with an XLR cable to the amp ? Is there any thing to pay attention to ?

I plan on getting a Roland Micro Cube. I would be glad to get feedbacks.

Thanks a lot.

JB

That's a pretty fancy machine. It would be a shame to spoil it with a Microcube.

I don't know a whole lot about those systems. Kekani is the guy to ask. Surely he'll chime in if he sees this.

But... If it was me, I'd make every effort to get from the instrument to the amp/PA with just an XLR cable. No adapters/XLR to 1/4" cables. This means you need an XLR input on the amp. If you sing, your options are going to get limited, but if you don't, you can just use the mic channel from any decent little acoustic combo amp. I'm digging the Fishman Loudbox Mini these days. Great little piece of gear. If you need two mic channels, I'd look at the bigger Loudbox Artist - it has two XLR ins.

Edit: you also might want a preamp to tune the sound, but I can't think of a single one geared for acoustic instruments that has an XLR in.

You have a high end instrument with a high end pickup system in it built to perform with. When most people perform with an instrument equipped with a 1/4 jack then you have to go through a DI (direct Input) box that has an xlr output to go into the sound desk. What you have is designed to go straight to the desk without a DI.

You bought a high end instrument so take advantage of it and use a decent amp.

Anthony

Thank you guys for your answers.
I will look for an xlr input amp. The price of the fishman loudbox mini is pretty reasonable.

Thanks again !
JB

My guitar player has a Taylor, active with an XLR out. Once I made him a balanced cable, he no longer goes through a DI, but straight to the board - XLR from instrument/TRS 1/4" to the board. That's as familiar as I am with XLR instrument outputs.

Not unlike Brad, I'm not familiar with the Schertler pickups, but I find it odd that what is seemingly a passive pickup has an XLR out. Normally you'll use a balanced cable for longer runs (from a DI with a transformer) from your DI into the board. I'm not one into impedance matching or mismatching, so I'll now refer to Booli for that.

I will say this - we recorded this past weekend. My ukulele player finally learned to use his ParaAcoustic DI, and is now asking about a Venue. He will no longer "forget" his DI at home.

That said, the guitar, with the XLR out straight into the board, could've used some help. I would've loved to put a DI in front, but he fixed the tone in when he mixed it post. We normally run through JBL Eons, so we never REALLY hear what the instruments sound like. We could hear EVERYTHING this weekend, and the system clarity exposed everything (different system). More reason why my ukulele player will never forget his ParaAcoustic DI at home, and exactly why I thought the Taylor needed help.

I agree with Brad, you should use a pre in front of it, but I also don't know of one that accepts a balanced XLR input.

This is reminding me of a current thread in Talk - worrying about the pickups, and running through a Micro Cube. I refrained from commenting on that, as I will here. Anthony has it right, you're not trying to polish a turd, but don't dull the finish either.

Edit: JB, you made me look. Seems Shertler not only makes nice tuning machines, but they also make preamps with balanced XLR inputs and outputs. I'm not even complaining about the retail cost for a Venue now, which is about $400. Now I gotta check Radial's site. . .

Last edited:
You got me started down the rabbit hole, Kekani. Curious myself. Doesn't look like there is much for XLR ins.

Continue to not complain about the Venue's price: http://www.pendulumaudio.com/SPS-1.html ($2350). I've been hearing about it for years, but who has that kind of money to even wonder what it sounds like?

Yes concerning preamps schertler propose what I would need but now I miss cash for that.

The fishman loudbox artist may be a good buy for it's versatility.

Thank you for your help, really.

Cheers,
JB

I look for a simple but versatile system to amplify my uke and my Classical guitar and play with the effects. No plan of large Room performances. These QSC K offer probably too much for my simple needs. I feel a combo would fit my needs but still thinking about it.
What kind of mixer or pedal would you recommand to me if I would choose a powered speaker ? I don't want to put too much money in the system. Again The loudbox artist seems like a good compromise.

Thanks a lot for your pro advices.

JB

What are your amplification needs?

I regularly busk. Depending on circumstances I may busk un-amplified or I may busk with a Roland AC-33 (battery powered). When using the AC-33 I use 2 microphones with the addition of a second battery powered microphone preamp.

For bigger gigs I have a Behringer B210D powered speaker on a pole and a Behringer mixer.

I never use an amp to practice. Performance only.

Anthony

No plan on live performance or busk.
Only practice with friends, play at home or at my friends home.
Have the possibility to add a bit of chorus or delay.
Simple needs, right ?

Hoping I answered your questions.

Cheers,
JB

To be honest. Ukuleles sound better un-amplified than through an amp. Effects are often used to compensate for a lacklustre amplified sound.

Try one out by all means but I can't see it working for you.

Anthony

I said that effects are used to compensate for the lacklustre sound from being amplified. I should have clarified that as being the lacklustre sound of using internal pickup systems and I stand by that. The playing is great but I would have liked to hear it being recorded with a microphone too. With a video of such high production values as this one the effects would most likely have been added post production with computer software.

Inexpensive practice amps don't make such a nice sound.

Anthony

Okay.
I'm gonna go and try some in store.

Thanks.
JB

No plan on live performance or busk.
Only practice with friends, play at home or at my friends home.
Have the possibility to add a bit of chorus or delay.
Simple needs, right ?

you can also find a DI box that will allow you to:
plug in the xlr
provide lots of tone shaping (amplified ukulele sounds different that acoustic ukulele)
use effects
save you a bunch of money

http://www.lrbaggs.com/preamps

no reason to spend big money to get a decent sound to play with your friends.

Anthony, you word it so absolute, but sound is a very subjective thing. I have a few amplifiers and I like the sound of my built in electronic ukes played through them. Each person has their own view of that, no absolutes.

Yeah thank you Kohanmike to point it out. What I understand is that I really need to try gear before buying.
I thought it was simple to find something that suit my needs but there are so many options that this is Not simple.

And yes Ramone these LRbaggs preamps are an option but I'm looking for an amplification system first. Or both if no combo amp can do the job.

I will give you my personal feeling after trying different gears.

Cheers,

JB

Top Bottom