Ono Heads to Honolulu with a New 18" Tenor

saltytri

Reaction score
It will be good to get a last blast of warm weather before the cold sets in. This is one of the instruments I'm taking to show at the Ukulele Guild of Hawaii exhibition in Honolulu next week. The back and sides are claro walnut and the top is Port Orford Cedar. The 18" scale and low G tuning give the tone a pleasing depth that, rather surprisingly, seems quite distinct from a 17" tenor.

30269818634_9bc41a8bed_b.jpg

30868184636_48b6434350_b.jpg

30815977411_f5af396152_b.jpg

Such a classy look as per usual, David. Can't wait to check this one out when I get there!

Such a classy look as per usual, David. Can't wait to check this one out when I get there!

Hands off......that's my sandwich.......just joking. That one will generate serious ONOMAS among the admirers. Enjoy your time in Hawaii Eddie and David.

Sweeeeeeet! :drool:

Very nice! Is the body slightly larger than usual, too?

Nope, not in length, width or depth.

As many of you probably know, Kimo has had some favorable things to say recently about a 19" neck on a tenor body. This one splits the difference and I'm hoping to get his impression of how the two compare.

Last edited:
Aloha, Stan! We're beaming up to the Ukulele Mothership on Tuesday. See you next week!

I love the wood combination and the simple appointments on this ukulele! Nice to see the finished version David.

I have my first custom in the pipeline with David, and I can't wait to get my paws on it! My favorite uke so far is my Kamaka HF-3L which has the 19" scale. The only downside to it, is that when I play it a lot, and then go to a 17" scaled tenor, there is an adjustment period. I am thinking that splitting the difference at 18" is going to help alleviate that, and still allow playing all the way up the neck. I also requested to have the neck meet the body at the 15th fret.

Have a great trip David!

Last edited:
Top Bottom