Signatures and ukulele collections

derbyhat

Reaction score
Hey -
I've noticed that a lot of people have their ukulele collections in their signatures. Just wondering...How many ukes do you need to own before it makes sense to add the list?

And how'd the whole list thing get started? Was it a challenge at some point?

I've got three ukes. I dig 'em. But I don't want to break some kind of unspoken rule. There's nothing worse than having anonymous strangers roll their eyes at you because ya ain't doin' it right.

:)

Thanks

I actually disabled signatures because too many people had really long ones, often larger than the content of their posts. When reading on a tablet, that took up a lot of screen estate and increased loading times when there were graphics. *ducks*

As a hobbyist and a frequent forum user of the various sites relating to these hobbies I find it common. Be it photography gear, guitars, watches they all seem to list their stuff in the signature. I haven got much to show here. Sell as the new comes in in a minimalist way. No idea who started it tho. ;)

3 is fine. Pay no attention to curmudgeons like Mivo. :p (but mine probably is too long- he does have a point)

No hard fast rules. If you have ONE uke and want to list it by all means do so. If it is played and appreciated it can certainly be listed.

Well derbyhat , not a signature list but you have set me thinking. My avatar isn't really appropriate to an ukulele site. Having recently jerked my camera out of a comatose state I may be in a position to do something about that. A job for the next rainy day?

A few months after I joined the site I felt I was ready for a new ukulele. I had only been playing for about 6 months and knew very little about different brands. One way of researching was doing searches in the forums, but another way was looking at signatures. I would send PMs to the owners and ask them questions. The ukulele community is very friendly and I was able to build friendships and gain knowledge. A double win! It was after these conversations that I decided to add a signature of my own. It was only two at the time, but that way if someone was considering one of them they could send me a PM as well and I could pass on knowledge. It has grown since then and I have had a few people reach out to me, so for me it was a good thing.

Hey -
I've noticed that a lot of people have their ukulele collections in their signatures. Just wondering...How many ukes do you need to own before it makes sense to add the list?

I've got three ukes. I dig 'em. But I don't want to break some kind of unspoken rule. There's nothing worse than having anonymous strangers roll their eyes at you because ya ain't doin' it right.

Thanks

No hard fast rules. If you have ONE uke and want to list it by all means do so. If it is played and appreciated it can certainly be listed.

I agree with Dave. Put what you want in your signature. I used to list mine in my signature, before the list extended to multiple pages. :D

Well derbyhat , not a signature list but you have set me thinking. My avatar isn't really appropriate to an ukulele site. Having recently jerked my camera out of a comatose state I may be in a position to do something about that. A job for the next rainy day?

Well. Ok. But we live on opposite sides of the planet and coordination could be tough. And won't it be weird if I am your avatar? :)

The reason why sig lines get so large...

einsteinshow.php_zps1ynz3i4s.jpg

Attachments

• einsteinshow.php.jpg
    einsteinshow.php.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 1
I used to have one of my photos of a sea scene as my avatar (also not uke like), and a small photo of each of my ukes in my signature, but as I accumulated more, it got too big, so I changed the signature to a list and shot my uke display cabinet for an avatar. I also used to only display my signature in the very first post I made in a thread, then I added some links, especially to The Ukulele Kids Club, so I decided to show my signature in all posts just to give anyone an opportunity to click a link at any time.

Last edited:
I always saw the signature as a way to get an additional sense of people's advice and point of view. For instance kohanmike's signature above clues you in that he really likes modifying bass ukes. If you hang out long enough you'd know that from reading his posts, but this is quicker. So if he comments on bass ukes, I know that he has a wide experience. If you read my signature you'll figure out that I like banjos and ukes in non-traditional materials. And that you should buckle up (nationally about 10-15 percent of people don't buckle up, but they account for over half the traffic fatalities).

I like to see avatars and signatures, regardless of what they are. A lot of people don't say much about themselves in their profile, so anything that will help me get an idea where someone is coming from is good. I don't list my two ukuleles in mine, but I think that it says something about me. So I think that if you want people to know what you are playing and if you think it reflects you in some way, you should put it in there.

I just listed my ukes because everyone else had a list :)

I like avatars, because it allows you to recognize the poster in a visual way before reading the post.
I am not a big fan of pictures in the signature though, because of loading time on my phone and the space they take up. But everyone is different that way.

As one Mr. J. Lennon once said, ".....whatever gets you through the night, it's all right."

Hey -

Thanks
When you figure out how to stop other people rolling their eyes? Let me know.
If you want to list your ukuleles? Go right ahead. What do ya have???

The older I get the less I care what other people think. It's not my business anyway.

When you figure out how to stop other people rolling their eyes? Let me know.
If you want to list your ukuleles? Go right ahead. What do ya have???

The older I get the less I care what other people think. It's not my business anyway.

Right on, sukie. When I turned 80, I decided that I was gonna do whatever the heck I wanted to. The rest of my life is mine. :eek:ld:

Top Bottom