ukulele amp

Czechmate01

Reaction score
My new ukulele has a pick up; I want to get a small amp so that when we are fooling around at home over the holidays it gets loud , any suggestions? I do not need a professional amp just something that sounds good at home.completeuke.jpg

Attachments

• ukulele.jpg
    ukulele.jpg
    15.5 KB · Views: 66
First of all congratulations on the Mya Moe.........stunning. I owned a Mya Moe sycamore tenor with a pick up as well as having five other ukes with pick ups. I asked questioned about amps and listened to advice and bought a Fishman Loudbox Mini and I love it (around $400.00).

You have a world class instrument with great sound so don't cheap out on an inferior sound system. There is nothing worse than your custom uke sounding like crap when plugged in......a waste of money. I have played through other amps that made my uke sound terrible. There are other good acoustic amps out there but this is the one I own and have first hand experience with.

First of all congratulations on the Mya Moe.........stunning. I owned a Mya Moe sycamore tenor with a pick up as well as having five other ukes with pick ups. I asked questioned about amps and listened to advice and bought a Fishman Loudbox Mini and I love it (around $400.00).

You have a world class instrument with great sound so don't cheap out on an inferior sound system. There is nothing worse than your custom uke sounding like crap when plugged in......a waste of money. I have played through other amps that made my uke sound terrible. There are other good acoustic amps out there but this is the one I own and have first hand experience with.

It is really hard to find anyone who doesn't like their loudbox mini. Mine sounds great and I only spent around $300 by hitting the Presidents Day sale at GC. It's small enough that it doesn't take up a lot of room, sounds good in my living room but still puts out enough sound for me to be heard in a 200 seat church.

Based on my research there are less expensive options that some people like and others don't - if you want to go that route I'd visit a store and pick the one that works for you.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Kustom-PA/PA50-Personal-PA-System-1304980282163.gc

Great acoustic amp. Simple to use, you can plug in both your uke and a microphone, which is a big plus when your really start using it. Anyway, I went through a couple of other amps before landing on this one, and it is by far the most versatile and best sounding.

This is a fifty watt amp, and it will put out some sound. The amps that I got before were five and ten watt amps. I figured that I wasn't going to need anymore than that. I found out pretty quickly that when it comes to amps, if you are turning them up to max to get the volume that you want, you get a lot of distortion. So you are going to want to stay mid range in the volume. This amp puts out plenty of sound mid range.

Last edited:
My new ukulele has a pick up; I want to get a small amp so that when we are fooling around at home over the holidays it gets loud , any suggestions? I do not need a professional amp just something that sounds good at home.

View attachment 95623

That Kustom amp is not as big as it looks, seems like a really good deal. I have a 15 year old Crate Limo 50 watt that cost me $350 then. Our uke group leader uses the Fishman Loudbox Mini and she loves it, great amp for the money.

(BTW, when you add a photo, be sure to hit a couple of carriage returns at the end of the paragraph so you don't cause the paragraph to spread out. I did that in the quote above, looks better, right?)

That Kustom amp is not as big as it looks, seems like a really good deal. I have a 15 year old Crate Limo 50 watt that cost me $350 then. Our uke group leader uses the Fishman Loudbox Mini and she loves it, great amp for the money.

(BTW, when you add a photo, be sure to hit a couple of carriage returns at the end of the paragraph so you don't cause the paragraph to spread out. I did that in the quote above, looks better, right?)
I finally landed on the Kustom PA50, a Beringer 8500 mic, and it all, including cords and cables, fits in a small roller suitcase, and I have less than a hundred fifty bucks tied up in the whole thing. You are right, it is not big. I love the Fishman Loudbox Mini, but it costs more than twice that of the Kustom.

I finally landed on the Kustom PA50, a Beringer 8500 mic, and it all, including cords and cables, fits in a small roller suitcase, and I have less than a hundred fifty bucks tied up in the whole thing. You are right, it is not big. I love the Fishman Loudbox Mini, but it costs more than twice that of the Kustom.

The Kustom amp that Rllink has is a fabulous amp, especially at such an affordable price. It has been extensively used and praised by some gigging musicians right here on UU. Highly recommended

Yes it does look better I do not usually add photos this was a first time experience thanks for the amp advice too!

One more plug for the Loudbox. Great piece of gear.

I was introduced to the Blackstar ID:Core BEAM at a local music store this weekend. Didn't plug a uke into it, but played guitars and basses through it for a while and all I can say is that it's absolutely amazing. It's small, portable, versatile, great-sounding, and to top it off can also function as a bluetooth stereo speaker for your phone/computer as well as an interface for recording.

Don't take my word for it, if you can find one nearby, demo it.

Congrats on the new Mya Moe. It is a beauty!

I have a Mya Moe all Mrytle with pick-up installed and I play it through the Roland AC-33. It is nice sounding, has two inputs, one for microphone in case you want to play and sing, and it has loop function which allows you to lay down a rhythm track and jam along. I got mine used for around $240.00, but I think they are around $400.00 new.

Last edited:
Have a look at the Yamaha THR series. They're compact high quality modelling amps, which means they do a pretty good job at emulating the sound of a powerful amp head and large cab, even at low volume. So you can play 'loud' without getting noise complaints from 2 streets away. And despite the low wattage, they'll fill a room before you hit 6 on the dial.

Depends what you're after, but I love mine. I didn't get the acoustic version, but the regular ones work fine with acoustic guitar and ukulele. The effects are stereo too, which can add some depth.

Last edited:
I'm very happy with my Yamaha THR5A.

I have a Pignose portable bass amp that sounds decent to me. You can either plug it into the wall or use the internal rechargable batteries. Less than half the cost of a Fishman.

pignose.jpg

I got my kustom pa50 for 79.99 on sale at GC. For ukulele and voice it works just fine. It doesn't hold up as well when used as a keyboard amp (paired with a bass amp). Gets a bit harsh on the high end when cranked.

Definitely doesn't hurt to test drive one at GC.

for price, go with the Kustom PA. for better sound go with the Loudbox mini. I have both and they are both fine. My advice would be to play your particular instrument and mic/pickup through the amps before buying if possible.

Top Bottom