Belt Disc sander up for grabs

Timbuck

Reaction score
Belt Disc sander up for grabs (sold)

I've bought a new unit ....and I'm getting rid of the old one maybe on Ebay..So I thought i'd offer it to the forum first , UK only and buyer must collect...£40 ono
PICT0007.jpg

Last edited:
My new SIP sander has arrived and I have been testing it out ....Compered to the old one it is a lot cleaner to use co's this one has a dust extractor port and it really works well...the old sander had 9" discs and this one has 10" discs and it makes a big difference..Changing the belt is much easier...and the electrics are much safer with the NVR stop start switching...on my old one if the switch was in the on position when I plugged it in to the mains it would start up suddenly and anything left on the belt would fly across the workshop.:uhoh:
sip 01943.jpg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nDArGj4V7CQ

Last edited:
You know it is funny. When I got one of these things I figured all my chores of getting edges flat and 90 degrees were over. Then I discovered a thing called the Carolus effect or so some smart person told me it was called. The Carolus effect is that a spinning wheel spins at different velocities depending on how close you get to the center. In other words, the velocity of the sanding decreases the closer you get to the center or increases the further you get from center. It also has something to do with angular momentum or such things that put me to sleep in school. Anyway, I've learned to compensate. Nothing is ever easy. Another thing I have learned is that these things will take off wood real, real fast. Almost too fast. Sometimes I wonder if a smaller set-up would be better for lutherie. Something like a small scroll saw versus a big honking band saw.

You know it is funny. When I got one of these things I figured all my chores of getting edges flat and 90 degrees were over. Then I discovered a thing called the Carolus effect or so some smart person told me it was called. The Carolus effect is that a spinning wheel spins at different velocities depending on how close you get to the center. In other words, the velocity of the sanding decreases the closer you get to the center or increases the further you get from center. It also has something to do with angular momentum or such things that put me to sleep in school. Anyway, I've learned to compensate. Nothing is ever easy. Another thing I have learned is that these things will take off wood real, real fast. Almost too fast. Sometimes I wonder if a smaller set-up would be better for lutherie. Something like a small scroll saw versus a big honking band saw.
Yes the spinning disc has its problems you cant get much joy from the centre part.....I just use the disc for small jobs and set the belt up vertical for serious stuff...like all forms of engineering you have to start off with the big tools before you get down to the nitty gritty ;) eg: start off with a chainsaw and finish off with a scraper.

Congrats on the new sander Ken. I couldn't build ukes without my Jet 6 X 48. The 10" disc is a nice upgrade. (12" would be even better!) Now if they could just make the disc table adjustable with a screw drive for fine adjustments. (Like they have on table saws to tilt or raise the blade.) I've been wanting to find someone to fabricate something for me but that sander never sees any down time.

Top Bottom