RIP Leon Russell

dkcrown

UU+
Reaction score
It has been a tough week already with the passing of Leonard Cohen. I am so saddened to hear of the death of Leon Russell. If there ever was a more underappreciated talent, then I don't know who it could be. His list of accomplishments are too many to list, as a song writer, recording artist, and session player. RIP Leon. :(

In deed. A unique man with a unique style. A one and only. Godspeed Leon.

Hadn't heard anything of him in recent years, but for a while there it seemed every new album out had him playing on it. The list of people he worked with would look like a roster for the rock 'n' roll hall of fame.

Hadn't heard anything of him in recent years, but for a while there it seemed every new album out had him playing on it. The list of people he worked with would look like a roster for the rock 'n' roll hall of fame.

Yes Pritch, you are right. And he is a member of the R&R Hall as well.

I don't think a better song has been written than "A Song For You" (preferably sung by LR himself). And that's just one of his great works.

I listened to him decades ago, and about two months ago renewed my appreciation for him with new purchases and by watching a recently re-released documentary (A Poem Is A Naked Person) about him, from the 1970s. It's kind of a sloppy mess, but you get to see him, and other well-known musicians, both performing and especially behind the scenes. I know it's available on Amazon, and likely elsewhere.

Top Bottom