Looking to trade my new Moodyville Jazz Tenor for new'ish Clara Concert Backbird

bonesigh

Reaction score
I'll sell outright for 840.00 plus shipping. Paypal preferred.

Might as well ask if anyone is interested in a brand new Moodyville Jazz tenor uke from Vancouver. I bought a used one here in the market place then noticed (a couple of months later) there was finish cracking all over....contacted the maker and she had a new one waiting for the call!! I could choose to ship the old back and have it refinished or just have her ship out the new one. I loved, loved, loved this uke!!! Best ever!

I ordered the brand spankin' new one that was exactly the same as the used one I had bought. Who wouldn't right?? I think the old one sounded better for the uke had already opened up. The new one is a fantastic uke though. More play and the new one will open up too but.....I'm not really playing tenor any more. Bit too big to stretch for some of my favorite chorded melodies.

I'll take better pics and do a sound sample if anyone is interested. For now here is a link to a video with the uke and my group. I'm the big gal.

New vid added a couple of posts down.

:) Janet

Last edited:
I have a Moodyville -Sitka top and black walnut back/sides. Best ukulele I own. Shelly is great. Mine is two years old. Perfect condition. Plays great. Curious, when you say "veneer cracking all over" what are you referring too. The top?
And is the cracking the top or the finish? What did you do do with the old tenor?

I keep mine in a case with planet waves humidipack system and in real winter conditions an Oasis in the sound hole.

Good luck with the trade. Moodyville are fantastic ukuleles.

They are great ukes, thank you for your reply. Guess I wasn't clear...the original uke from Moody developed cracks in just the outer layer of the protective coating (finish) matt glaze. Not the wood itself! She was new at building ukes and I guess used the wrong coating. She already had all the new ukes returned to her and was awaiting the call from the last one....me. The old uke went back to her and the new one came to me. The new one just sits forlornly in her case (with humidifier). I keep waffling on weather to sell her or not. I have made my decision.

I can also outright sell this uke with the case for what I think in an good price. You can get these from http://bluedogguitars.com/ in Vancouver Can 1,300 converts to 960.00 US. I'll sell outright for 840.00 plus shipping. Paypal preferred.

Last edited:
Excellent price. What is the wood combination that you have for top -back & sides? Also what neck wood?
This is a great deal folks. Fantastic ukuleles. I got mine a year after Hodge got that one. Didn't know about the finish but mine is all OK. Shelly is a great person and builds really lively, clear sounding ukuleles. Any pictures?

When I bought mine I was lucky to be able to drive down to North Vancouver and meet Shelly and play four gypsy tenors all lined up in a row on the work bench. Great fun. I've been to Blue dog about three times now. I live about five hours away.

Great suggestions from the guys. For anybody who doesn't know Moodyville Ukuleles, very well made, light, resonant ukuleles in a gypsy style cutaway with big D sound hole. All SOLID WOOD. Mine is very light matt finish and it rings like a bell. Shelly has been making this style of guitar for many years after working for Larrivee guitars and others. She did her luthier work in BC ( I think). Great person and builds really nice ukuleles both Gypsy style and standard 8 shaped.

Sorry about the confusion with surface coating. I do mean 'the finish' on the first uke. She only had that issue with the first batch she ever made I do believe.

Making a video now of the uke. I've been out of commission for most of the day (broke my knee) mri tomorrow ): Plus was my Bday today. I'll look up the woods but think they are sitka spruce top with walnut back n sides. Serial number inside is 150476 build date of April 15th. She is the exact same build and woods as the original I bought from Hodges here in UU. Thanks for the interest.

J

Happy Birthday! Sorry about your knee, wish you a speedy recovery!

Thank you Mez :)

To all...here is a current video oops, forgot to turn the video at one point and this took forever to load to yt. Ah, well.

Last edited:
I just finished playing my Moodyville tenor this morning and thought that I would give this thread a bump. I have owned close to fifty ukuleles since I started playing almost eight years ago. Almost all of them I would consider high end. I am now down to five. And my Moodyville that I ordered from Shelley is one of them. Fantastic balance, tone, and volume. And sustain til the cows come home. A radiused fretboard and a slim neck make it very easy to play. They have to be some of the most underpriced ukes available anywhere built by a skilled luthier. IMO there is not a better value out there. And this one is priced extremely low.

I know that bonesigh is looking for a Clara, presumably for durability and the ability to bring it outdoors worry free. Or perhaps she is more comfortable with a concert scale. But I can't imagine that it will sound or play better than this Moodyville. Someone should treat themselves to an early Christmas present. :)

Agreed with everything said above. I have owned my Moodyville for two plus years. Fantastic Uke. Great clarity of notes. Biggest tenor and lightest in weight I own. I would have already bought this up but it has exact same wood Sitka top/black walnut sides as the one I own. I have visited Shelly's shop twice and played many tenors at Blue Dog Music in North Vancouver. They all have played great. This is a bargain. Someone will get a good deal, B the way Shelly is a very nice person, easy to work with and very talented luthier. My .02 cents worth. Good luck with sale!

This looks like a great ukulele for a great price! I'm surprised that it is still here. Best of luck with this sale!

Much thanks for the bump and kudos dk, M3 and 64 :) Durable fits my lifestyle better. Concert is really my ideal size and I'm dealing with health problems. Plus too many projects with not enough time. I'd like to attempt making a uke or 2 that will be better than the hamalele I made.

Top Bottom