Next step

FHicks

Reaction score
After spending the last week just playing a bit and starting the finger toughening routine.......today I changed to the low G. Lowered the bridge by almost 1mm and took a "hair" off all the nut slots. Couple of beginner observations.....
1. The Aquila low G stretches like crazy. Could just be my first time changing a string etc..... but jeez......
2. The strings in general.....make mandolin string stretch look like nothing, these things stretch like crazy. I have a chromatic tuner.....but I may just get a headstock tuner to make tuning quicker.
3. There seem to be some online/video lessons for fingerstyle.....I'm still slowly looking through some old posts.....but what I need is a book/written instruction program I can follow. My old days with the violin (like 30 years ago) I started out with the Suzuki method books and then on to the Mazas studies books which I used with mandolin.
4. Are the left hand change of positions (1st to 3rd etc) based on the same rules as violin/mandolin?

That's the "joy" of nylon strings over steel strings. They all seem to take a couple days of tuning before they stabilize.

Sounds like you used the "Rob Meldrum" mandolin setup approach to the uke. It definitely works.

After mandolin, tenor guitar and tenor banjo, I went away from GCEA tuning on ukes to CGDA. I found the chording easier and the ukes perform well with this tuning. This isn't a knock on GCEA at all, but just what I found works best for me.

Nylon (and fluorocarbon) strings stretch a lot. You can expect to frequent tuning for the first week or two, in my experience.

I like Aaron Keim's fingerstyle book. He also has some online videos (quietamericanmusic.com) to accompany the book. James Hill's Ukulele Way includes some fingerstyle playing, but the first 3 books in the series are mostly chord melodies with thumb picking and strumming.

After spending the last week just playing a bit and starting the finger toughening routine.......today I changed to the low G. Lowered the bridge by almost 1mm and took a "hair" off all the nut slots. Couple of beginner observations.....
1. The Aquila low G stretches like crazy. Could just be my first time changing a string etc..... but jeez......
2. The strings in general.....make mandolin string stretch look like nothing, these things stretch like crazy. I have a chromatic tuner.....but I may just get a headstock tuner to make tuning quicker.
3. There seem to be some online/video lessons for fingerstyle.....I'm still slowly looking through some old posts.....but what I need is a book/written instruction program I can follow. My old days with the violin (like 30 years ago) I started out with the Suzuki method books and then on to the Mazas studies books which I used with mandolin.
4. Are the left hand change of positions (1st to 3rd etc) based on the same rules as violin/mandolin?

When you ask about position changes I'm assuming you mean up the neck, correct? I'm also a cello player and in my learning with the uke, I' haven't heard of position changes referred to in the same way, just fret involvement, not that some don't refer to it, I just haven't come across it. I think that's a classically trained thing.

When playing some online pieces.....I automatically switch my left hand up the neck on the violin/mandolin way. I jump to 3rd and 5th position fairly easily. Is that the right way to move your hand with ukulele?......damned if I know.

I think so. Good on you if you can figure that out so fast! I have a hard time because the uke isn't tuned in fifths!:mad: Gives my brain an ache trying to figure out where to go, but it'll come!

Top Bottom