With or Without Pickup?

besley

Reaction score
I am about to surrender to my UAS and purchase a Blackbird Farallon Tenor Uke. The one question I have before pulling the trigger is whether or not to get one with the MiSi pickup installed. I can order one online without electronics, or get one locally with the pickup for about $100 more. And while that seems like a great deal, the fact is I can't imagine using the pickup any time soon. And it almost seems wrong to add something fragile like electronics to an instrument that is so inherently impervious to the weather.

Any thoughts? Do most of you get your ukes with electronics or not?

I don't have any electronics, no amps, no mic's. If you're not going to use it, why bother. If you decide you want have a pickup and buy amps, cables and mic's and stands, then you can add one for not much more than $100.

Maybe right now you don't want to plug into an amplifier, but who knows what the future holds? I really like the MiSi. I don't know what you are going to do with your uke that might be hard on it. Anyway, you asked and that's my answer.

I can order one online without electronics, or get one locally with the pickup for about $100 more...Any thoughts? Do most of you get your ukes with electronics or not?
Another way to look at this is that it might be worth $100 to be able to play the uke before you buy it. If you like everything about the local one, I'd get that rather than deal with the uncertainties of the online one. Just a thought.

I bought my Clara sans pickup, but it has one now. If you ever see yourself playing more than a couple of times in a venue that needs amplification a pick-up is very useful. If not, it is probably not worth it.

A pickup is one more thing to go wrong - I had to work through a few buzzing issues when the pickup wasn't perfectly tightened.

I don't think a pickup has made my uke much less durable aside from some increased complexity. I'm not immersing it in water, or leaving it in enough heat to impact electronics (the ekoa isn't recommended for hot cars - although it will tolerate more than most wood ukes).

Maybe right now you don't want to plug into an amplifier, but who knows what the future holds? I really like the MiSi. I don't know what you are going to do with your uke that might be hard on it. Anyway, you asked and that's my answer.
Yep. I'd have it done now. If they goof, you're covered. And! Once you get it you won't want to part with it while it's added.
You never know when you might want to use it.

I have a couple of ukes that came with pickups. I think I've plugged them in once.
I also have an external pickup (Myers) that I seldom use.

I figure if I ever start needing a pickup, I'll buy a uke expressly designed for electric performance, like a Godin Multiuke or something. I prefer to keep the acoustic and electric worlds separate.

It depends. If your goal is to some day to play in public, then get it installed. Having a pickup won't hurt its resale value, if you decide to sell it. It might be a plus to potential buyers. I love the fact that the Mi-Si pickup doesn't require a battery.

I agree with Jim Hanks. I have pickups in my better ukuleles. I don't have a need for them these days, but am having one installed in a new custom I'm having built. On ne sait jamais.
On your Farallon, the additional cost is relatively small.

I would go with the local one with the Misi pickup. First of all you can play the local uke to make sure it feels great in your hands. You also get a strap button by having the pickup. If the pickup ever buzzes or anything, since you bought locally I'm sure they would take care of it for you. Also, if you ever sell the uke the pickup will be a plus. My philosophy is "Better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.

+1 for a pickup. Most of my ukuleles I bought without pickups, except for my Risa solid ukes. Over the past year I've started going to a couple of open mics where you can plug in. The Risas have been very useful as have the Microvox micro condenser mic pickups. If I get another uke (8 string on my wish list), I'll get a pick up installed.

Top Bottom