your method of sanding the sides?

tangimango

Reaction score
after you flush trim the top and back with a flush trim router bit. whats your method to smooth out the trim leftovers? oribital, belt ,mouse sander, hand sanding block?

I hand sand using a round closet dowel with 120 paper taped. Pretty quick and gets into the waist nicely. If you are close it doesn't take long. I'm primitive in that I don't use a flush trim router but a thumb plane to trim up the top and back sides.

I bought a really nice rolling pin sander for my cordless drill from Dominator, he made a thread about it here. It's a short thread but there are pics.

http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com...ne-Need-a-Rolling-Pin-Sander&highlight=sander

And this popped up on my youtube recommendations, if I hadn't bought the one from Dom I'd make one of these.

Edit: I should add that I trim back the overhang with a 1 3/4" chisel before scraping and sanding the sides.

Sharp scraper does it in a few minutes and without all the terrible sanding dust. It may not get you a flat across the width side though. If you like very flat, high gloss finishes you are almost certainly going to have to sand them as well.

Top Bottom