UK v USA uke choice

Iulia

Reaction score
Is it my imagination or is there a bucketload more choice of ukes in the usa than uk???

Or do I have a grass is greener syndrome?? :D

I've just been looking at Mim's shop on ebay, and feeling very sad ....

I've bought from SUS - and I know of Duke's of Uke and Eagle music - anywhere else that has a decent selection here .....

or do I just look wistfully across the water ........

Probably the reason UAS may not be quite as bad in the UK as it is in the US. The more time you spend with ukes, the more you will notice that many of them are "essentially" the same, but with different names and sometimes cosmetic touches.

Try living in Canada......we got nothing and our dollar is way worse than yours. Fortunately there is this world wide web thingy. I can buy what every I want with the simple push of a button. Mim will gladly sell you anything your heart desires. Life is good.

Matt Warnes has a good selection of intermediate to high end ukes in his new shop:

www.worldofukes.co.uk

There's also Omega Music although their stock variety is smaller than it used to be. They do a good set up and have great service though. The thing that always gets me is that $ = £ when it comes to ukes, so a K brand or something is way more expensive for us. Curse those import taxes!

You also have to look at the size of the countries. I live in Indiana, and there is only one shop (that I know of...) within reasonable driving distance (~1.5 hrs away) that has anything more than entry level ukuleles. The next closest is over 5 hours. We are fortunate, however, to have Mim, Uke Republic, Elderly, HMS, etc all located within the states so there is no additional import taxes, but all of my purchases have been bought without the benefit of trying them out because there is nowhere for me to try.

Undoubtedly there's much less choice over here, but that's getting better. I remember a few years back when it was hard to get hold of even a K brand, but now SUS is awash with choice - all models of KoAloha, Kanile'a and Kamaka.

Matt Warnes' new shop World Of Ukes also has a really amazing selection of intermediate and higher end ukes too.

Importing from the States is a lot harder post-Brexit decision because of the weak pound. This not only hits you when buy direct from the US (remember you pay 20-25% in import fees & VAT too) but I've also noticed the shops over here have had to increase prices. I remember new Kanile'as at around £500 (mind you that was a few years back.) Now they're closer to £1000 - partly because of brands increasing price but also because of the weak pound.

Long story short, it's getting better but it's getting more expensive!

Southern Ukelele store is one to watch, if only to see who is coming to do a workshop, usually free of charge.

To clarify Mattyukeaholic's import figure:

To import you will pay
Invoice cost
plus 4.2% of instrument invoice cost as import duty,
plus Shipping cost
plus Customs clearance cost
plus 20% VAT on the total of the above figures.

h

Might be a grass is greener thing for me, too, since I heart the John Daniel Pixie sopranino and the Brueko tenor which are not easily available in my neck of the woods.

A lot of SUS uke prices have gone up by £20 & more since BREXIT, a uke I just bought from them in September, at £129.99, is priced at £152 now!

Thankfully, I have just about everything I want now, (& more than I need). :music:

A lot of SUS uke prices have gone up by £20 & more since BREXIT, a uke I just bought from them in September, at £129.99, is priced at £152 now!

:mad:

I'm also surprised there isnt a better second hand market here - unless I'm looking in the wrong places ...

The weak pound will have a much greater effect on the lower end of the market, certainly as a proportion of the price because they are virtually all imported. It will also have an impact on the mid to higher end. At the higher end you don't have to import because then you are into single makers who are based in the UK. They will probably pay a little more for materials but you aren't importing their labour, which is by far the biggest cost.

There are occasionally some UK sales in the Market Place on here, so keep an eye out if you are after anything, or even ask in there.
If you know what you want, & can afford it, we have some very good luthiers here in the UK.

Thankfully, I have just about everything I want now, (& more than I need). :music:

Oh, the prices have adjusted. Living in "mainland*" Europe, I was wondering if I should act quickly and buy while the pound was low. But it makes sense that the prices follow the exchange rate.

I was expecting this thread to be about people choosing different brands on each side of the pond, is seems that I misinterpreted the title. Perhaps there should be more threads.

*Well, the part of Denmark where I live is actually an Island, but I guess the expression still work.

Michael - uke 1950 -

that's a very good point. I guess many people gravitate to the big brand names simply because that's all they can find easily in the shop or online.

do you know of anywhere there is a directory of luthiers, professional or well thought of amateurs? I'd be happy to consider them - just who are they?? I don't know of any 'brands' actually made in the uk either.

Viking - I agree that would make an interesting thread. I imagine more people from the USA VISIT Hawaii than from Europe, so maybe that affects what people buy a bit?? but it would be interesting if certain brands were more popular depending.

Timms, Howlett, Michael N, greenscoe are names that immediately comes to mind due to my interaction with them in the luthier's lounge. Great people and ukes for sure!

I wish there was more choice in the mid-price range. I'm hoping to upgrade in the new year and I'm budgeting around £500.00. I would like to feel that gave me more options than Pono or Opio. Having said that I'm currently eyeing up the aNueNue ASR3...

Top Bottom