Thomastik infeld strings on a concert

cml

Reaction score
I really like the sound of these paired with oasis or worth flourcarbons.
Would CF27 and CF30 work on a concert or would the string tension be too much?

I really like the sound of these paired with oasis or worth flourcarbons.
Would CF27 and CF30 work on a concert or would the string tension be too much?

At concert scale (14.75 inches) the tension would be a little under 8.5 lbs on both courses (G and C). That should be fine.

I use a CF27 on a concert for C. Totally fine.

Yes, they work fine on concert, soprano too.

I use the T-I chrome flatwounds whenever I need a wound string for both uke and guitar.

Very Interesting thread ... nice work all.

I've used thomastik strings on my guitar before. While they sound pretty nice, their lifespan was rather short, and they ended up being replaced rather quickly. They were expensive too!

Very Interesting thread ... nice work all.

FYI: This is not a new topic, i.e., using the Thomastik-Infeld (T-I) chrome flatwound 'classical guitar' strings on ukulele. Back in 2013, fellow UU brother John (OldePhart) was singing their praises, and eventually I got to trying them and liked them too, so I had spread the word as well, and have been since then.

About 10 months ago, I had a nice PM conversation with Chuck Moore (yes, the master luthier of Moore Bettah), and since then, after he tried them, he started to recommend them for his ukes, as well as in general when paired with Oasis strings...

Once Chuck mentioned them here on the forum, stringsbymail.com and juststrings.com had trouble keeping them in stock...

The T-I strings can be had as a full 6-string set for classical guitar as the CF128, which has a wound 'third' or 'G' string, or as the CF127, which has a nylon 3rd string, as well as SINGLE strings in the CF45, CF35, CF30 and CF27, and the diameters are like the part # with 0.0xx, where the xx is the part number.

Elderly has them too, but only as full sets last time I checked.

I find the T-I strings to be smoother than the Fremont Soloist string that so many folks love, and SMOOTHER than the similar D'Addario and LaBella 'polished' string, but have not yet tried the Savarez strings because the are nearly double the price of the Thomastik-Infeld strings and sets, and I cannot justify spending $40 on a set of strings.

To be fair, GHS also has polished smoothwound NICKEL classical guitar strings in somewhat different gauges in the 'Vanguard Classics' series, but on the 3 ukes and 2 guitars I tried them on they had intonation problems, but the sound was great, and yes they were smoother than a normal wound string, but compared to the T-I strings, they were not as smooth.

I have to say that I like the D'Addario polished wounds. They remain the easiest wound singles for me to source here in the UK, they're reasonably priced and there's a good range of gauges. And they sound pretty good too, even if they are a little squeaky ;)

Last edited:
FYI: This is not a new topic, i.e., using the Thomastik-Infeld (T-I) chrome flatwound 'classical guitar' strings on ukulele. Back in 2013, fellow UU brother John (OldePhart) was singing their praises, and eventually I got to trying them and liked them too, so I had spread the word as well, and have been since then.

About 10 months ago, I had a nice PM conversation with Chuck Moore (yes, the master luthier of Moore Bettah), and since then, after he tried them, he started to recommend them for his ukes, as well as in general when paired with Oasis strings....

I followed the same path and really love this setup. Using the OASIS GPX Bright- low G set for E and A strings.

Last edited:
I once used wound Thomastick-Enfield as my G and C strings. The tension was pretty high, but they did ring nicely. I had to removed them to sell the uke, though.

Top Bottom