Will it still sound right?

bellgamin

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
I like the uke-ier sound of a concert uke (versus a tenor) but my big hands have a hard time with a concert's neck.

QUESTIONS:

1) If I get a long-neck concert uke, will it still sound 100% like a regular concert uke?

2) If 1 = Yes, should I use use low tension strings or high tension strings to best retain its "concert sound"?

3) If 1 = Yes, will using low-G reduce its concert-like sound?

You will get more sustain.
As regards to sounding like a tenor or a concert, I'd say closer to a concert - but then I like a mellow tone & mine is solid mahogany fitted with low G Living Water flourocarbons

I feel that question 1 and 2 are kind of related - putting higher tension strings on the uke should reduce the sustain and that, arguably, will make it sound more like a smaller-bodied instrument.

Low-G is gonna make it sound low-G. It's up to you to decide if that sounds 'right' or not :)

Have you tried (or considered) a concert uke with a wider fretboard? Islander/Kanilea ukes are know for their wider fretboard. I have an Islander soprano and find it a bit more spacious than a typical soprano.

Personally, I don't think that a soprano, or a concert are "ukier" than any other size ukes. They sound different, but they all sound "ukey" to me. Sustain, projection, tone, brightness, etc. are more specific descriptors of what you like in a uke. That being said, I do like some of my "larger" ukes to sound brighter, or less guitar-like and therefore like my brighter koa and spruce topped concerts and tenors. Fine tune them with different strings. I generally use low g for fingerpicking, blues, and jazz where I want a more guitar-like tone. Not sure this helps, but it's my take on things for my uke stable.

@ PTOE - The distance between strings isn't my problem. What I need is more distance between the frets from fret 10 on up.

@uke1950 - I loooove sustain. I have 1 uke that's still playing songs nearly an hour after I quit pickin' & strummin'.

@Phil - I always appreciate reading your responses throughout this forum. You & a few others are keeping this forum lively & responsive. Thanks! (In algebraic notation, thanks = 5q + 5q).

By the way, I have several tenors & just 1 concert uke. My friends & family all say that my concert sounds ukier to them. YMMV (^_^)

I think much of it depends on what you consider "uke-ier" sounding. To me the difference in sound with all sizes has to do with attack vs sustain. Sopranos have a lot of attack with less sustain while tenors have better sustain with less attack. So if "uke-ier" to you is greater attack and lower sustain, getting a long neck concert would keep more of that sound vs a tenor. As Jollyboy mentioned, putting higher tension strings will also help with the attack/sustain ratio. Adding a low G does change the sound, but that is for you to determine if that is the sound you are after. To ME, low G sounds less like a "traditional" ukulele, but that is completely based upon MY idea of a traditional ukulele sound. I have concerts strung both linear and re-entrant and I like and play them both.

@ all - Thanks for the great help! I've opened another thread to ask for buying suggestions.

. . . I have concerts strung both linear and re-entrant and I like and play them both.
My concert came re-entrant. Liked the sound. Restrung it linear. Loved the tummy massage when I hammered open chords.

Highly unscientific conclusions:
Re-entrant = uke-ier sound.
Linear = less uke-ier sound (but it soothes those tense abdominal muscles.)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Top Bottom