Nud: Goat rock 16" custom koa concert

stevejfc

Reaction score
NUD: Just received my new 16" scale Custom Koa Concert expertly constructed by luthier Michael Smith of Goat Rock Ukuleles of Sebastopol, California http://goatrockukulele.com/goatrockukulele.com/home.html.
Beautiful, almost holographic, very curly, very wavy 4A master grade koa, ebony binding with micro lines, cocobolo fret board and bridge, single piece (carbon fiber rod reinforced) mahogany neck, walnut burl headstock. Bone nut and saddle, ebony black Gotoh UPT tuners with gold trim, side sound port, gold EVO frets and MOP fret and side markers. The headstock rooster inlay and the rosette inlay include red coral, abalone and recon stone.
The 16" concert scale and 1 7/16" nut makes for smooth and easy playing up and down the board with a wonderful melodic/earthy tone and exceptional sustain and spot-on intonation. Strung linear with Fremont Soloist and PHD 1 - 3. I will try to post a sound sample when time permits.
BTW, Michael was very easy to work with and he kept me updated regularly on the build. I highly recommend his work.

Attachments

• DSCN1739.jpg
    DSCN1739.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 102
  • DSCN1742.jpg
    DSCN1742.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 92
  • DSCN1743.jpg
    DSCN1743.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 75
  • DSCN1749.jpg
    DSCN1749.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 68
  • DSCN1751.jpg
    DSCN1751.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 90
Last edited:
Wow! Beautiful instrument and fantastic inlay work. I'll bet it plays as nice as it looks! :drool:

I was curious and looked at his web page, but I didn't see any prices. I assume this is one of those items that if you have to ask the price, you can't afford it? ;)

Last edited:
NUD GOAT ROCK More Pixs

additional pictures

Attachments

• DSCN1748.jpg
    DSCN1748.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 42
  • DSCN1760.jpg
    DSCN1760.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 51
  • DSCN1763.jpg
    DSCN1763.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 37
Holy Curly Koa Batman.......that stuff is stunning. Beautiful uke steve, congratulations on a fantastic addition to your clan.

Wow....:drool: that certainly is pretty! Congrats!

Tis the season, for NUD's. I have seen more incredible custom ukes unveiled in the last week, than I have in a lifetime. That is a beaut Steve, congrats!

I am going with 1 7/16" nut on my first custom as well. I have recently logged a lot of hours back and forth between Pono/Kanile'a/Kamaka. The 1 7/16" Kamaka neck feels just right. Looking forward to hearing a sound sample.

Beautiful. I had not heard of the builder before. I'm curious how you discovered him and what is the story behind the inlay? Look forward to the sound sample and further review.

Eddie, Michael participates in the luthier's lounge:).

I lived on a farm growing up. We had goats.

But none of them ever looked like THAT.

Sweet Uke Steve. Congrats.

Fantastic looking uke Steve. I love the koa/cocobolo combination. Michael is obviously a very skilled builder.

A stunner!!! Congrats.

Top Bottom