How to plug in my Ukulele

biggoomba

Reaction score
Not sure how to hook up my ukulele to a sterio system and am looking for some advice.

I have a Caramel ukulele with the electronics installed. The pickup seems to work because I can use the little equalizer display to tune it fairly easily.

I have not tried much other than plugging it in and checking to see if I can get sound out of the speakers.

Here is what I have:
IMG_5299.jpg
IMG_5298.jpg

The receiver is one I had in college and I picked up the cable and adapter from Walmart.

I plugged the cable into the aux in on the Yamaha, and plugged the other end into the uke using the adapter.

No sound came out of the speakers when I played the uke.

What else do I need?

I'm assuming the uke has a 1/4" instrument output and not a 1/8" headphone output, correct? Assuming so, the cable is not going to work as the instrument output is not "line level" like the aux input on the receiver. You need a "direct box" or amPlug in the middle to convert the signal.

Booli will probably be along soon to explain all this better than I can.

ETA: Or you can get any kind of amp. Even something like the Honeytone will let you hear the uke. You won't get a very "natural" tone of course, but it's great fun. And it's not going to sound all that great going direct to the stereo anyway.
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/amplifiers-effects/honeytone-n-10-guitar-mini-amp/481850000119000

Last edited:
1-See if there's a Mic input on the receiver. If not....
2- Get some sort of preamp....The Aux in on the receiver is "looking for" a line level signal the output of your uke, and and most all non-electronic musical instruments, is much closer to a mic level (much lower output, than line level). So, an acoustic preamp should get you up to a line level signal and sort out any impedance problems, too!

Example.... http://www.musiciansfriend.com/amplifiers-effects/behringer-adi21-v-tone-acoustic-driver-direct-recording-preamp-di-box?cntry=us&source=3WWRWXGP&gclid=CN6DgqqKttACFZI7gQodnRAFiA&kwid=productads-adid^156403583515-device^c-plaid^143209121082-sku^H85919000000000@ADL4MF-adType^PLA

Good luck!
Tim

Jim, you must have been typing when I was...Jinx!

Jim is also correct. The output of the Uke is mono so be sure you have the right cables to get you in both sides of the aux inputs or you'll only get sound out of one speaker.

Tim

There isn't a mic input. There is a phono input, would that be a possibility? Was thinking of trying that - aren't record players un-amplified?

Will go check out musiciansfriend and see what I can find. Would be a pain to have to keep pulling the receiver out to switch between records and uke even if the phono input would work.

Is there an auxiliary left /right or a Tape IN L/R at the rear , for the phono plugs ? (They probably don't call them that anymore LOL).

If there is an issue with Left Right on the speakers there is possibly a stereo/mono select button on a machine of that vintage....which by the way is a joy to behold....

I wouldn't use the Phono input, as they can be more sensitive than you would believe.

Show us a piccie of the back ...you have inputs like CD and Tape Monitor select buttons ...you show us your backside...ooo pardon the phrase ..

Last edited:
Sorry, no plug on that receiver is going to take a "guitar" input straight in.

I like timmit's suggestion of the Behringer ADI21. I don't have one but it gets good reviews and will come in handy later if you get into recording or playing live. And it will help you get a natural tone from the stereo.

Now if you just want to make some noise, I'll stand by the Honeytone. :rock:

Well here are a couple more photos.

And yep, it's called 'Phono' :). This from the early 1990s if I remember correctly so about 25 years old. Still works all my listening needs. Still make the Infinity SL50 speakers I got at the same time make lots of noise.

Will see what I can find for a pre-amp.

IMG_5317.jpg
IMG_5316.jpg

Don't use the Phono input. Although it is a nominally a non-preamped in, phono inputs are not a flat freq. response input! They use the RIAA eq. curve which is designed to compensate for the eq. curve of the record (LP) standard....... It would sound weird.

Again, you can use a aux input if you plug your uke into a preamp first.

There is something else to consider: the Caramel likely requires two CR 2032 batteries. Did you do that? Probably, but you start with the easiest solution. I would also recommend the purchase of a small personal amp (cheap) and instrument cable.

By the way, the best place I have found for CR 2032 batteries is IKEA.

I have plugged my mandolin into the phono input of my Onkyo receiver. My mando has a passive pickup. It works fine, although without some eq, and tone control in the path, it isn't the greatest tone.

The difference between my setup and yours is that the left/right RCA to 1/4" adapter is mono instead of stereo since the pickup is a mono signal.

I just tried it again with a setup similar to yours and it works also

Lots of suggestions here, but none address the issue that the ADI-21 or any similar preamp is STILL not going to output a signal with enough voltage to drive the line-level inputs like the CD or AUX input.

The simplest and cheapest way to do this, i.e., get the right voltage (about 1 volt to drive line level, AND also get the IMPEDANCE close - about 10k oHms for line leve) is to use a headphone amp, like one of these, and it also gives you a level control as well as a tone control (and is like a stereo out, but actually dual-mono).

This is the BASS version and will sound BETTER than the GUITAR version for UKULELE, for a variety of reasons:
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/amPlugBassG2

He is a cheaper version from MONOPRICE, which I have an also works well:
https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=611510

Using EITHER of these, you can use the SAME cable you already have, without the need for the 1/8"-to-1/4" adapter, since these headphone amps have the 1/4" plug that goes into your uke, and their output is an 1/8" headphone plug. I would not consider using this on a stage performance, but if you are careful with it, it should work fine.

Monoprice has a coupon code for 15% off right now 'EARLYBF', which makes it even cheaper.

If you dont want to go this route and have a little bit of a budget, another option to consider might be to use an inexpensive MIXER with a guitar-level input (~$50 for a Behringer), and might ALSO need to use a preamp like the ADI-21 ($29) to feed one of the mic channels of the mixer if it does not have a guitar/instrument input. The you run the MAIN OUT of the mixer INTO the CD or AUX input of your Yamaha amplifier. Then add possibly another $20 for longer cables unless you plan to sit on the floor right in front of the Yamaha.

The mixer will also let you plug in a mic and other things too depending upon what inputs it has.

However, I caution you that anything above a low volume level is likely to fry the piezo elements of the tweeter components inside your nice Infinity speakers.....primarily due to the percussive sound coming out of the uke and how it will drive the physical excursion of both the tweeter and woofer elements inside your speaker cabinet.

A better solution might be to visit your local music shop, goodwill, thrift store or pawn shop and see if they have a used practice amp for like $50, with at least an 8" or 10" speaker in it. 10 watts is enough to jam out in your room without bugging the neighbors, 15 watts will be louder but more than 15 watts is likely going to anger anyone that lives with you or next door to you.

Several smaller music shops in my area usually have a nice stock of Fender, Marshall and Line-6 small practice amps, that depending upon condition start at about $35....if you go this ROUTE, then call ahead and BRING YOUR UKULELE to test it out with each amp and see which sounds best to you. Some of the small Fender amps have reverb built-in, and the Line-6 Viper amps even have modeling and all kinds of effects.

The main thing to ask yourself is 'what are your intentions?' What is your budget?

If it were me, I'd get a real amp and not mess with possibly damaging the stereo speakers, as they were not meant to take the abuse from being driven directly by a musical instrument with a wide dynamic range.

Everything you hear on the radio, vinyl, tape and CD's is 'mastered' and has heavy compression applied so that the maximum volume peak is limited to about -2db so as not to distort and damage your speakers when played at a nominal volume, using something else to drive the same speakers without a brick-wall limiter or 10-to-1 compression ratio is likely to cause damage.

Yep, personal experience - when I was 12 I plugged my electric guitar into the 'mic inputs' on the Sansui tape deck of my parents stereo, set it in record-pause mode and CRANKED up the record input level to ELEVENTY and watched one of the nice $$$$ Bang & Olufson speakers dance itself off the mantel, crash to the floor, breaking the nice wooden box into 4 pieces, while also shredding the tweeter element in the other speaker. Since I was a total Radio Shack nerdy kid back then, I knew just how to fix it all, but I will still chastised and punished. DONT DO WHAT I DID WHEN I WAS 12 (I'm 47 now LOL)

Proceed with caution and at your own risk.

Hope this helps! :)

Last edited:
Now if you just want to make some noise, I'll stand by the Honeytone. :rock:

I Just thought of something else (adding to what Jim said) - the $20 Danelectro Honeytone amps have 1/4" input and 1/8" output for headphones as well, so you could also use one of those, and the cable you already have to go from the Honeytone into the AUX of your stereo, but you will also need a 'guitar cable' to go from the uke into the Honeytone...and still the same caveats about speaker damage will still apply...

Last yr on Black Friday,it seemed every online music shop had these Daneletro Honeytone amps on sale for like $10-15 with free shipping. It does NOT sound awesome, but it does make a sound...so there's that. :music:

Last edited:
There are also a number of 1/4 input to 1/8 stereo or Lightning adapters on the market that will make your iOS device into an amp, with the possibility of using headphones wiunapps like AmpKit or even GarageBand.

There are also a number of 1/4 input to 1/8 stereo or Lightning adapters on the market that will make your iOS device into an amp, with the possibility of using headphones wiunapps like AmpKit or even GarageBand.

Yes - another great idea too -

FYI: The original iRig is like only $20 now and actually uses the headset port, so it will really work with anything that has a TRRS 1/8" 4-conductor Jack that combines mic and headphones into a single plug. Mac, PC, Linux computers as well as Android and iOS devices.

OOPS - actually the NEW iPhone has NO headphone port unless you use a dinky little DONGLE (great another thing to get lost or eaten by the dog) Thanks A LOT APPLE!!! (not) - so yes, Lighting or 30-pin, there are lots of choices as well as USB with the Camera Connection Kit adapter...

On iOS there are about 100 different apps for 'guitar effects' or 'amp modeling' and some also have a recording function.

I like JamUP Pro and ToneStack 2.0 MUCH better than Amplitube, Line6 MobilePod or the Peavey AmpKIT.

To my ears JamUP and ToneStack sound more musical and the reverb and compression seems like studio quality...I have spent a small fortune on music apps for iOS and many get used only 2-3 times unless they are truly stellar to me.

My next iPad prolly has to be a 256GB model because I think 128GB is not enough space for all the apps + my data...unless I get one of the BQ Aquarius Ubuntu tablets first...

Wow, thanks for the info. A lot for me to process through.

For about a minute, I considered putting together a DIY kit of some sort but decided against it. I have too many other projects. I don't plan to ever play for an audiences other with a few friends sitting around a camp fire. My main goal was to just hear the amplified uke. I am intrigued with the thought of recording some and use it with a couple of goofy videos I am working on.

My speakers are still in their original condition so are probably a little fragile. One has already developed a bit of a crackle when a little volume is added. I have contemplated replacing some of the speakers but it's a sealed cabinet with passive drivers and I am not sure how to take them apart or put them back together.

I do have some crap speakers in the garage, maybe I can dig them up.

I will go back through everything and see what makes the most sense for me. I did order a ADI21 but sounds like I may need a few other things?

Top Bottom