Antica Ukuleleria - Elvish Ukulele - Uncommon Neck/Fretboard/Bridge design

Ukador

Reaction score
Hello there !

I just stumbled across an Italian luthier and one of his Ukuleles.

http://www.anticaukuleleria.com/elvish-uke

He calls this uke his "Elvish Uke"

I am wondering if there are any special advantages why you would build a Ukulele this way ? The neck/fretboard is raised a lot and there is no typical bridge. Why ?

Thanks
Daniel

Last edited:
The name sounds like a drunken rock 'n roll singer. "The name is Elvish, ma'am...Elvish Presshly...Hic!" :rolleyes:

All kidding aside, it's a very interesting, attractive design, but I just wonder how easy it is to play with the strings so high off the soundboard?

I am wondering if there are any special advantages why you would build a Ukulele this way ? The neck/fretboard is raised a lot and there is no typical bridge. Why ?
Lots of builders are using the "string through" design now. I guess the theory is a more resonant soundboard by not having the bridge attached and not having the horizontal tension on the top.

The raised fretboard is certainly different though. I don't think I've ever seen that before. I guess the point would be combining the advantage of low action on the fretboard with high action at the strum position for more "power" and volume. I'd be a little concerned about that extreme break angle leading to easily broken strings but other than that, I can't fault the idea.

Beautiful. I want to hear one. All the models look like art.

Elvishly lovely

Lots of nice ukes there!

Interesting design - I'm guessing that the neck also passes on the string vibrations to the soundboard, rather than to the upper bout side/end. :cool:

I've played this exact ukulele and I can tell you that it's lovely. It was on display at the Ukulele Festival of Scotland. Marco explained that it was made that way with certain playing styles in mind. Fingerstyle players can really get a good grab on the strings and it's also perfect for claw hammer. It didn't feel hard to play at all and strumming I found you could dig in without hitting the fretboard. He makes brilliant ukuleles.

Having the fretboard lowered on the top gives a finger picker easier access to the strings. A few people have had custom ukes made this way. It only makes sense that doing away with a raised bridge could allow more volume and sustain. My uke has through the body stringing, and I love it.

I have an Elvish concert on order for February/March arrival. Such fun!

Those look really nice and have a lot of features I'd be interested in. What kind of customization options were available when you placed your order?

Top Bottom