Advice

anca

Reaction score
Hello! I want to buy an ukulele as a gift to a friend. He is a begginer and, after some research, I decided to buy him a concert one. These are my option:
Brunswick BU4 Concert Ukulele
Laka VUC30 Concert Acoustic Ukulele
Kala Makala MK-C Concert Ukulele
Oscar Schmidt OU2 Concert Ukulele
Ashton UKE240 Concert Ukulele
I don't really know much about brands so your advice would be of great help.
Also, what do you think about this site: gear4music.com? Did anyone order from it?

Hi Anca, I'm a newbie to ukes, so can't really comment on your list , but can vouch for Gear4music. I live localish to them, so can visit the store. They don't set up the ukes, they come straight out of the box. I spent hours there, trying out different ukes, before I settled on a couple of Snails. Nothing was too much trouble for them. Top guys to deal with.

If its a giveaway, and you're not sure if they're going to stick with it, have you looked at the caramels? People seem to like them, and they're really cheap.

I'd vote for the Makala MK C. I've had one and enjoyed playing it. Great sound for the price.

As for Gear4Music, i have ordered from them without issues and i'm pretty impatient when waiting for orders. I would be great to click the mouse and hear a knock at the door. :)

Oscar Schmidt OU2 is a good solid mahogany uke. They are set up well from the factory (I believe Indonesia). They make a good beater when one graduates to full-time UAS.

Of the ones you listed, the MK-C or the OU2 would be my choices, never heard of the other ones. Makala is a solid choice on a budget,

Oscar Schmidt OU2 is a good solid mahogany uke. They are set up well from the factory (I believe Indonesia). They make a good beater when one graduates to full-time UAS.

The Oscar Schmidt OU2 is a laminate ukulele. Mine is average quality, but definitely not "set up". (Rough fret ends, poor intonation, etc.) OK for a beater or for finding out if you really are serious about the instrument, but not much more than that.

Last edited:
Another vote for the Makala. That was my first one, and I still take it out to the beach and play it all the time.

Southern Ukuleles store brand worth checking.

Hi there, out of those Ukes I haven't played any but I do own a Laka VUC50 which is the next up of the VUC30. It's a great sounding uke, nice and warm, and is very nice to play, so I'd imagine the VUC30 would be rather similar.

Top Bottom