PDA

View Full Version : WTB mid range Tenor

Kevs-the-name
11-22-2016, 03:41 AM
Hi.
I am actively looking to purchase a ‘midrange’ tenor ukulele.
Particularly interested in a used K brand uke, but can be persuaded by other options.

Uk sales would be preferred but not essential
What's out there at the moment please?

Cheers
KEVIN

Croaky Keith
11-22-2016, 08:33 AM
Personally, I wouldn't call 'K' brands mid range, but If you haven't already looked here,

http://www.southernukulelestore.co.uk/c/Second-Hand-Ukuleles
http://www.southernukulelestore.co.uk/Category/9cbdba5a-c028-4729-a7fe-344acd1a4b4a/Discount-and-Clearance

Kevs-the-name
11-22-2016, 08:37 AM
Personally, I wouldn't call 'K' brands mid range, but If you haven't already looked here,

Without appearing to insight an argument. what level would you describe a K brand as?

Thanks for your suggestions btw.

deschutestrout
11-22-2016, 09:32 AM
Mid range is subjective to each person. I personally consider K brands mid range in the price-scheme of things. But to me and my finances, they're top shelf :-)

sam13
11-22-2016, 10:18 AM
I would look for a used Pono Pro Classic Tenor. Superb value.

johnnyplays2
11-22-2016, 10:29 AM
Hi, I have a Pono tenor uke with cedar top and rosewood body cut-away, with passive pickup. Contact me if interested. Thanks.

Kevs-the-name
11-22-2016, 10:31 AM
Mid range is subjective to each person. I personally consider K brands mid range in the price-scheme of things. But to me and my finances, they're top shelf :-)

To be honest, these are my feelings exactly. it is very much subjective.
I can just about afford a used 'low end' K brand ukulele, however I recognise that these can go into thousands....
this is what i am after (or equivalent)

I was not after a Mainland, (non elite) Kala or standard Pono for example -

PhilUSAFRet
11-22-2016, 11:45 AM
All K brands do not fall into the same category......apples to apples, etc.............

Croaky Keith
11-22-2016, 09:15 PM
Without appearing to insight an argument. what level would you describe a K brand as?

Thanks for your suggestions btw.

I just thought it odd to be thinking of 'K' brands as mid range, but everyone sets their own targets, dependent on income. :)

I would call them upper range. ;)

Edit: Custom built are in a league of their own!

Kevs-the-name
11-22-2016, 10:23 PM
I just thought it odd to be thinking of 'K' brands as mid range, but everyone sets their own targets, dependent on income. :)

I would call them upper range. ;)

Edit: Custom built are in a league of their own!

I agree in part with this.
i guess my wording was not the best.
A new K brand is pushing my price range somewhat. and these come in at a vast range of prices! the premium version is WAY beyond

But a used version of their entry level... perfect!

a Hive, Collings, or Compass rose for instance is what I would consider High end.
and as you say. Customs like Howlett, Barron River, Beau Hannam etc... well.....Things of dreams x

PhilUSAFRet
11-23-2016, 04:06 AM
Personally I"d grab this one. A super concert....if scale is your primary concern, it's a Tenor, if body size is, then it's a super concert (I know it sounds redundant, but you know what I mean! Don't run across deals like this very often. If it was a regular concert, I may have grabbed it by now.

http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/showthread.php?124178-Greetings-from-Cronulla-Australia-I-have-a-lovely-spare-KoAloha-Uke-for-sale

Ukulele Eddie
11-23-2016, 04:27 AM
What is your target price point? I have some surplus ukes at the moment that I've been meaning to list. A Pepe Romero custom Spruce/Flamed Maple that I scored a killer deal on ($1,400 USD - sold for over $2k by HMS) and just bought pass along. It's this one: http://www.theukulelesite.com/pepe-romero-custom-spruce-maple-tenor.html

I also have a Collings UT3SMB because I bought one and then another one came up with slightly better figuring in the maple. Both are incredible sounding but this would be over $2k.

Kevs-the-name
11-23-2016, 04:46 AM
Both of these are stunning options Eddie. But they come under 'high end' for me!
Thank you for the suggestion/offer.

I may have just obtained an almost new Koaloha Tenor with Misi pickup.
Still... if something else comes up?
Thanks guys
Kevin

Ukulele Eddie
11-23-2016, 04:53 AM
Both of these are stunning options Eddie. But they come under 'high end' for me!
Thank you for the suggestion/offer.

I may have just obtained an almost new Koaloha Tenor with Misi pickup.
Still... if something else comes up?
Thanks guys
Kevin

Understood. I wasn't sure of your price point. Good luck on your acquisition!

Kevs-the-name
12-02-2016, 12:31 PM
Very pleased to say I managed to acquire a very nicely priced used but immaculate Koaloha Tenor with Misi pickup.

Thank you for your advice and discussion.
Still have to try out a Kanile’a K1 at some point tho (possible trade in the making one day maybe?)