FS : 2001 Kawika Curly Koa Custom Tenor by David Hurd !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doc_J

Reaction score
This is a 2001 Kawika Curly Koa Custom Tenor made by Legendary ukulele builder David Hurd on the Big Island.

Although currently retired, David Hurd was one of best ukulele builders, having literally written the book, "Left-brain Lutherie", for building ukes & guitars applying physics and engineering to building instruments. If you unfamiliar with David’s work, please take a look his website ukuleles.com, and you will get appreciation of his building skills and the quality of his instruments. Due to toxic nature of many exotic woods in building ukes, David retired from building, years ago.

This custom tenor is a stunning example of David Hurd's rarely available work, a stunning curly koa tenor in excellent/exceptional condition. It is truly a piece of modern ukulele history as well as an outstanding musical instrument. No dings, dents, cracks, or scratches, just one, small nearly invisible finish scratch on the back of the upper bout which is amazing for a 15-year-old uke. You could mistake it for brand new. Look at the pictures! The figure/curl of the koa used in this body is amazing. The neck is also solid koa. This Kawika ukulele has a builder-applied thin, clear plastic fingernail guards on the upper bout which has protected the upper bout top from fingernail scratches. French polishing technique was used to create the beautiful finish. There are many reasons using shellac with French polishing over nitrocellulose lacquer, but a primary one is a better instrument tone. The French Polish finish allows more vibration of the top wood, and creates clear sound with long sustain. This is one of my best sounding reentrant ukes. But, it's not getting as much play time as some other reentrant tenors. I’m not 100% sure I want to sell it, I may change my mind about selling it.

$3500 plus shipping, Paypal

• Premium Curly Hawaiian Koa top, side and back
  • Ebony fretboard (sorry no radius) and bridge
  • Black top binding
  • All Hawaiian Koa neck
  • Paua abalone top and side markers
  • French Polish finish
  • Graphite carbon Rod installed in the neck
  • Grover Champion Friction Tuners
  • comes with very protective PROTEC black hard shell case
  • strung with Oasis bright reentrant strings

This uke sounds loud, clear, and bright with long sustain, a classic beautiful all koa uke sound.
https://app.box.com/s/w9fq800tt1te4vvb3myowx6j86omiufr

P1070292_zps6h2dcadr.jpg

P1070297_zpsnbmbecv7.jpg

P1070299_zps9ajoj3u6.jpg

P1070302_zpsbcrzpigb.jpg

Sweet looking . . . angelic sounding . . . ukulele Hodge! Good look with sale!

I kind of know how you feel about letting go of her. I'm amazed how connected i've gotten to a few of my instruments.

Oh no.......time for me to step away from the screen
Must resist.

Wowza, Hodge, that is a stunner in looks and sound.

Amazing, this one oughta go fast! Good thing I am away for the holidays.

I've been noticing a distinct pattern in my instruments...my french polished instruments usually do sound much clearer, louder and more nuanced than any of the others that use some other type of finish...at least to my ear.

Yours sounds great along those lines.

An absolute classic, Hodge! A real find for someone.

Kawika Ukulele

I love that ukulele. I have some close Kawika relatives to your ukulele. A 2002 Koa Tenor 6-string, 2003 Koa Tenor, and 2005 redwood cutaway (one of the last ukuleles he built). They have held up over the past decade and all sound great. Not to many people remember how he really hand crafted each instrument and that he really was at the top of the game when he was building. I hope your ukulele finds a new home!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom