Three Standouts at HMS: Tenor, Concert and Soprano

Ukulele Eddie

Reaction score
During my trip for the Hawaii Ukulele Guild, I of course visited The Ukulele Site in case you need holiday ideas or just want to treat yourself. ;-)

I played lots of wonderful ukes. I figured I'd toss out three standouts in terms of my perception as to relative "value." No, these are not inexpensive by any means, but I think each is very, very special.

Hive Spruce/Rosewood Tenor. I cannot believe this wasn't snapped up already. It's a veritable bargain if you compare it to other similarly priced instruments and includes nicer amenities like Waverly tuners and an Ameritage case. The craftsmanship is impeccable and tone is as good as anything out there. It was admired by a lot of luthiers during the UGH show.

Seilen Custom Koa Concert. Made entirely by Shinji Takahashi, this concert uke is a very balanced instrument. Sounds great fingerstyle or strummed. If I had room for another concert, this would have come home with me.

Kala USA 3Koa Soprano. This little soprano shocked me with its rich tone. It's a complete stunner.

Love them all........especially the Hive and the Seilen. Thanks for sharing Eddie.

Top Bottom