Baritone wounded strings

mrStones

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
after a lot of thinking, I found myself craving for trying a baritone.
So I opted for the Kala KA-ABP-CTG, reading all the good reviews here about the cedar top.
Yesterday is arrived, thanks to the good guys of SUS (really, guys you are hurting my bank account but you are making me sooo happy).
Yesterday night I spent a couple of hours playing it and it was a blast.
Don't know if it is because it is a bariton or because of the cedar top, but it is really amazing.
Really, the sustain is nothing comparable on tenor size (that is really good already)... like Mim said on a video "it rings for days". And she's right.
And the sound is so full and alive.
Again, hat off for Kala that delivers a so nice instrument for such a good price (I paid "just" 210 pounds).

Fingerpicked is awesome, but I immediatly found that my "allergy" (no, not a really allergy, I just hate 'em) for wounded string when strumming is back.
So I am considering to change 'em with fluorocarbon (Living Water of course).
I read fluorocarbon has less sustain than wounded strings on baritone or that low d string is too thick and floppy.
Is real or just a urban myth ? What is your experience with fluorocarbon unwounded strings on baritone ?

PS: Thanks everybody pointed me to cedar top :) , uke1950 in particular . You were right man, it is really a great and lovely uke.

Last edited:
A big issue for me when I change from wound to nylon or fluorocarbon strings is that the plastic strings are so fat. They may not fit into the nut slots and you may need to file the slots. This is not hard to do, but it does pay to look at the slots before you change so you know what to expect.

Thanks Bill1 ! Did you noticed a change of sustain/volume/tone when switched from wound to fluoro on baritone ?

Not a myth, low d is way too thick for my taste and very floppy. I'm not crazy about the tension on g either. The first time I had LW low D on my Bari, I immediately changed out for high D and it was much better. On my other Bari I have alternated between Southcoast gcea Bari set (read his webpage about optimum resonance) and now am back to low D tuning but have only b and e fluorocarb. While I am not fond of many squeaky wound strings, there are some acceptable ones. I have used Savarez classical guitar in the past and currently liking the T-I (30&35, I think) that I'm using. Not squeaky, good tension and balanced sound.

I stick with wound strings on my baritones. I find the low plastic strings too fat. The wound strings have more mass than the plastic strings so in theory they should have longer sustain and better volume. But, the key thing for me is to get the set of strings to work as a balanced set, if the low strings have too much or not enough volume or sustain they will not fit in with the other strings.

Thanks a lot Bill. I think I will stick with stock strings for now.
For fingerpick I find them REALLY good so no urge to change 'em.
But for strums... woha... really hate wound strings at the moment.
Maybe I will find myself at home in a couple of weeks... doubt it, but will give it a try.

Not a myth, low d is way too thick for my taste and very floppy. I'm not crazy about the tension on g either. The first time I had LW low D on my Bari, I immediately changed out for high D and it was much better. On my other Bari I have alternated between Southcoast gcea Bari set (read his webpage about optimum resonance) and now am back to low D tuning but have only b and e fluorocarb. While I am not fond of many squeaky wound strings, there are some acceptable ones. I have used Savarez classical guitar in the past and currently liking the T-I (30&35, I think) that I'm using. Not squeaky, good tension and balanced sound.

Hi bunnyf, thanks ! What are T-I ? a model from savarez or another brand ? Thanks a lot

The T-I strings are Thomastik-Infeld strings. They are great! I ordered the classical guitar CF-128 set and put strings 2-5 on my Kala baritone (same model as yours). The sound is amazing and tension is perfect! Many people have just bought the 30 & 35 separately and used them for the D & G strings with their favorite flurocarbon B & E strings. When I got my baritone I put on Living Waters strings and took them off within a few days. I didn't like the feel. The low D was WAY to floppy! I also felt the sound was muted in comparison to the T-I strings. I am actually going to use T-I stings on my long neck concert when it arrives because I like them so well on my baritone.

The T-I strings are Thomastik-Infeld strings. They are great! I ordered the classical guitar CF-128 set and put strings 2-5 on my Kala baritone (same model as yours). The sound is amazing and tension is perfect! Many people have just bought the 30 & 35 separately and used them for the D & G strings with their favorite flurocarbon B & E strings. When I got my baritone I put on Living Waters strings and took them off within a few days. I didn't like the feel. The low D was WAY to floppy! I also felt the sound was muted in comparison to the T-I strings. I am actually going to use T-I stings on my long neck concert when it arrives because I like them so well on my baritone.

Thanks WCBarnes !
Just a question : I always read to NOT put guitar strings on ukes, even baritone 'cause they have too much tension and could damage ukuleles. Is it wrong and you can do it ?

Thanks WCBarnes !
Just a question : I always read to NOT put guitar strings on ukes, even baritone 'cause they have too much tension and could damage ukuleles. Is it wrong and you can do it ?

classical strings are fine they are the same construction. acoustic guitar strings...bad idea.

the way i play i would think my baritone itself is wounded!

classical strings are fine they are the same construction. acoustic guitar strings...bad idea.

the way i play i would think my baritone itself is wounded!

Thanks bnolsen !
Wow guys, you're opening my eyes to a new world :)

@WCBarnes :
I read online (maybe is wrong)
- CN27 E 1st Plain Nylon 027
- CN31 B 2nd Plain Nylon 031
- CF27 G 3rd Chrome Steel Flat Wound 027
- CF30 D 4th Chrome Steel Flat Wound 030
- CF35 A 5th Chrome Steel Flat Wound 035
- CF45 E 6th Chrome Steel Flat Wound 045

so strings 2 to five from a CF128 ? So you have just the E string not wounded and 3 wounded ?

@WCBarnes :
I read online (maybe is wrong)
- CN27 E 1st Plain Nylon 027
- CN31 B 2nd Plain Nylon 031
- CF27 G 3rd Chrome Steel Flat Wound 027
- CF30 D 4th Chrome Steel Flat Wound 030
- CF35 A 5th Chrome Steel Flat Wound 035
- CF45 E 6th Chrome Steel Flat Wound 045

so strings 2 to five from a CF128 ? So you have just the E string not wounded and 3 wounded ?

You are correct. The only unwound string I am using is on the E string. I really like the T-I strings as they are very smooth. While there is some texture and a little "squeak," they are nothing like "traditional" wound strings and they do not really bother me at all.

And as bnolsen mentions, CLASSICAL guitar strings are okay for ukuleles. It is the Acoustic/steel strings that will damage them. I have recently had my eyes opened to the world of T-I and classical guitar strings. It is a bright and beautiful place!!! :cool:

You are correct. The only unwound string I am using is on the E string. I really like the T-I strings as they are very smooth. While there is some texture and a little "squeak," they are nothing like "traditional" wound strings and they do not really bother me at all.

And as bnolsen mentions, CLASSICAL guitar strings are okay for ukuleles. It is the Acoustic/steel strings that will damage them. I have recently had my eyes opened to the world of T-I and classical guitar strings. It is a bright and beautiful place!!! :cool:

Thank you again WCBarnes. Just out of curiosity : how you figured out it was 2-5 strings and not.. just say 1-4 ? By trial and error or previous experience as a guitarist ?
If was me, probably I would had think "well, baritone is tuned like the first 4 string of the guitar, so 1-4" but probably they are too tense on a shorter scale as the baritone.

Thank you again WCBarnes. Just out of curiosity : how you figured out it was 2-5 strings and not.. just say 1-4 ? By trial and error or previous experience as a guitarist ?
If was me, probably I would had think "well, baritone is tuned like the first 4 string of the guitar, so 1-4" but probably they are too tense on a shorter scale as the baritone.

That was my initial thinking as well. My interest in using classical guitar strings was peaked by Adrian (2xbass) in this thread: http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/showthread.php?122860-Oasis-GPX-Carbons

I had never thought of using anything other than strings labeled "baritone" before this. I sent Adrian a PM and asked a WHOLE bunch of questions. He was very knowledgeable about strings and was the one who recommended using 2-5. I will admit, I was a little worried about the tension. I am not a fan of high tension strings. but since it was a shorter scale length I figured I would give it a shot and if I didn't like it, I would shift and use 1-4. I haven't even given changing them a second thought as I absolutely love the sound and tension. I also bought the GPX strings mentioned in the original posting and will give them a try next, but they have big shoes to fill!

Tried the CF128, but in the set I received there was 3 wound strings (E,A,D) and 3 nylon strings (G,B,E).
Anyway I mounted A and D strings as D and G like you suggested and G and B as B and E.
I wanted to wait a lil longer before changing string but I noticed the G strings of the stock set was horribly damaged after just ten days of playing (more or less). Near the 2nd and third fret, the wounding was gone reveiling the string under and caused a terrible buzz.
First impression after couple of hours of playing : string tension is indeed perfect and wound strings from the Thomastik-Infeld set is a lot less squeking and annoying than the original Aquila.
I will keep on testing this set, but now I am really happy about it.
Thanks a lot everyone to point me in this direction.

classical strings are fine they are the same construction. acoustic guitar strings...bad idea...

For a point of explicit clarity - classical guitars which use NYLON strings are ALSO 'acoustic' guitars, maybe it is better to say acoustic guitar STEEL strings are the ones with significantly more tension than that of classical guitar strings and uke strings.

Most uke strings aim for approximately 10-12 lbs of tension (PER string), and most classical guitar strings aim for 12-15 lbs of tension (PER string), yet steel strings for both electric and acoustic guitars aim more for approximately 23-25 lbs of tension (PER string) and if steel strings are installed on a uke or classical guitar, they will likely cause both expensive and extensive damage to an instrument that is constructed for a much lower overall string tension.

Sorry if this is obvious to many of you, but the OP was asking as if he yet had little experience with different types of strings, and I wanted to make sure that this point is absolutely clear. I would not like to hear of someone hurting their instrument due to lack of knowledge about what they are doing and how to avoid problems.

So the TL;DR is that I completely agree with bnolsen, but just wanted to add some more detailed info. :)

Last edited:
For a point of explicit clarity - classical guitars which use NYLON strings are ALSO 'acoustic' guitars, maybe it is better to say acoustic guitar STEEL strings are the ones with significantly more tension than that of classical guitar strings and uke strings.

You need to tell the strings manufacturers that. They clearly label their steel string packs for "acoustic guitars" and label their nylon strings for "classical guitars".

You need to tell the strings manufacturers that. They clearly label their steel string packs for "acoustic guitars" and label their nylon strings for "classical guitars".

I guess I misunderstood that you were referring to the Marketing, Packaging or 'label' in the string pack from the stringmakers, whereas in my post, I was referring to the physics of sound (and how a vibrating surface pushes sound waves through the air) and engineering/design of a steel string vs. nylon string guitar (uke, bass, etc...), WHICH does not have electronics nor pickups, and therefore is built/manufactured to resonate air instead of creating sound by disturbing a magnetic field (with magnetic pickups) like 'electric' guitars are designed to do.

Electro-acoustic guitars, such that have some sort of pickup system ALSO include both nylon and steel string, but that is another topic, which further discussion of might be better in another thread.

Sorry for the confusion. :)

Top Bottom