Clacking sound when I strum

happyconejito

Reaction score
Hello everyone! I'm sorry if this is a very silly question, but I can't for the life of me figure out what is going on. Every time I strum there is a light clack - I can't tell if my finger is hitting something, or if that's just the way it sounds when your nail hits the strings and I'm hyper aware of it? Any rookie mistakes I could be making here?
Thanks!:cool:

You might be striking the strings at too sharp an angle. aim to strum across and not down.

A button on your sleeve? I chased that one for a while.

I had a little clack too. I was strumming with my index finger unsupported. I fixed mine by supporting my index finger with my thumb. Kind of like holding a pick.

I used to hit the treble end of the upper soundboard with my nail on the downstroke, making a tapping noise. Changing my angle of attack and moving closer to neck/body junction helped as did just general strumming practice. I think this is one reason why I like my cutaway. I'm less likely to strike the upper bout.

Hey everyone, thank you! I will play around with my angles some more. It seems to be worse when I support my index finger with my thumb, and I definitely have a problem with doing things too hard on general because I'm hypermobile... if I don't press hard I can't control what I'm doing! So it's probably some combination of all of the above... except the button, ha! :D

I occasionally get a rattling sound, which usually means that some random speck of something has found its way inside the body of the instrument. A good shake tends to solve the problem :)

If I really get into a strum, I too get this sound sometimes. For me it's my thumb hitting the fretboard on the upstrokes.

Hey all, so after quite a lot of practicing and analyzing and trying your tips, I have come to the conclusion that it is, in fact, the sound of my nail hitting the strings. I do hit the fretboard sometimes but it makes an entirely different sound... it does seem to be a bit less loud when I really focus on making my finger loose!

Last edited:
Hey all, so after quite a lot of practicing and analyzing and trying your tips, I have come to the conclusion that it is, in fact, the sound of my nail hitting the strings. I do hit the fretboard sometimes but it makes an entirely different sound... it does seem to be a bit less loud when I really focus on making my finger loose!

Do you mean up strum? If it were up strum, you may avoid it.

Hi zztush - it is much more pronounced on my down strum but sometimes I get it on the up strum as well - how do I avoid it going up?

If it were up strum, you can avoid it. Nail direction, nail shape and finger tip work it. They work more in up rather than down.

Top Bottom