PDA

View Full Version : Clacking sound when I strum

happyconejito
11-24-2016, 07:47 AM
Hello everyone! I'm sorry if this is a very silly question, but I can't for the life of me figure out what is going on. Every time I strum there is a light clack - I can't tell if my finger is hitting something, or if that's just the way it sounds when your nail hits the strings and I'm hyper aware of it? Any rookie mistakes I could be making here?
Thanks!:cool:

Croaky Keith
11-24-2016, 07:59 AM
Sounds like you might be hitting the edge of the fret board. :)

Barrytone
11-24-2016, 08:16 AM
You might be striking the strings at too sharp an angle. aim to strum across and not down.

Rllink
11-24-2016, 08:18 AM
A button on your sleeve? I chased that one for a while.

SailingUke
11-24-2016, 08:53 AM
I had a little clack too. I was strumming with my index finger unsupported. I fixed mine by supporting my index finger with my thumb. Kind of like holding a pick.

bunnyf
11-25-2016, 04:05 AM
I used to hit the treble end of the upper soundboard with my nail on the downstroke, making a tapping noise. Changing my angle of attack and moving closer to neck/body junction helped as did just general strumming practice. I think this is one reason why I like my cutaway. I'm less likely to strike the upper bout.

happyconejito
11-25-2016, 05:47 PM
Hey everyone, thank you! I will play around with my angles some more. It seems to be worse when I support my index finger with my thumb, and I definitely have a problem with doing things too hard on general because I'm hypermobile... if I don't press hard I can't control what I'm doing! So it's probably some combination of all of the above... except the button, ha! :D

jollyboy
11-25-2016, 11:38 PM
I occasionally get a rattling sound, which usually means that some random speck of something has found its way inside the body of the instrument. A good shake tends to solve the problem :)

cml
11-26-2016, 01:19 AM
If I really get into a strum, I too get this sound sometimes. For me it's my thumb hitting the fretboard on the upstrokes.

happyconejito
12-16-2016, 07:02 AM
Hey all, so after quite a lot of practicing and analyzing and trying your tips, I have come to the conclusion that it is, in fact, the sound of my nail hitting the strings. I do hit the fretboard sometimes but it makes an entirely different sound... it does seem to be a bit less loud when I really focus on making my finger loose!

zztush
12-16-2016, 07:01 PM
Hey all, so after quite a lot of practicing and analyzing and trying your tips, I have come to the conclusion that it is, in fact, the sound of my nail hitting the strings. I do hit the fretboard sometimes but it makes an entirely different sound... it does seem to be a bit less loud when I really focus on making my finger loose!

Do you mean up strum? If it were up strum, you may avoid it.

happyconejito
12-17-2016, 04:59 AM
Hi zztush - it is much more pronounced on my down strum but sometimes I get it on the up strum as well - how do I avoid it going up?

zztush
12-17-2016, 11:17 AM
If it were up strum, you can avoid it. Nail direction, nail shape and finger tip work it. They work more in up rather than down.