Offensive comment by a respected vendor? Or am I being too sensitive?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sig808

Reaction score
So, I was going to make a purchase of an ukulele from a respected online vendor. Then I read this in one of their posts, "If a China man cuts his finger on a band saw, does he not bleed?" While not completely derogatory, I still found the term "China man" a little off-putting.

I'm new to the forum and was expecting a little better acceptance of all people. So have I been away from the islands too long and am now being too sensitive? Or is this what I should expect from this online community?

Last edited:
Sig:

I kind of agree with you, but withhold judgement without reading the context of his sentence. "China man" was a derogatory term used in the US many years ago, but I haven't heard it used in a long time. I would have liked to read the entire post to see what he intended. Maybe he meant no harm, and wrote it out of ignorance or lack of cultural sensitivity.

I think I remember that post and if it is the one I am thinking of, the broader context made it clear the speaker was not putting down men from China in any way. In fact, it was trying to make the point that builders in China are the same as Hawaii in that they are all people, bleed the same way, etc.

Maybe you're referring to something completely different, but I suspect you're being too sensitive.

Personally, I focus more on intent than on words. Reading over the blog entry I believe you're referring to, t see nothing that implies any disrespect. The author says in the sentence before: "... and enjoy a great ukulele made by human craftsman." The "China man" line simply expresses that Chinese ukulele builders are just as skilled as those in Hawaii. I've never seen the term "China man" before, and it doesn't strike me in any way as offensive (and it seems descriptive to me: a man located in China), but I'm not a native speaker.

Sig808, that's a tough call. I don't know what he meant by this. I don't know the context of his statement. I probably would have left out the word China.
These days, it seems like it's awful easy to offend people. I don't quite understand it. It would take one helluva lot more than that to insult me.
I think we could all use a little more chill and a few more filters before we type/speak.
I also think that a little diplomacy goes a long way.
Why don't we all pretend we are standing in front of who we are addressing when we communicate online?
Sig, I think you'll find that ukulele underground people are the nicest around. I love these folks.
Welcome, and enjoy!

Thanks for the feedback. @jim u are correct. While I agree that his intent may have been positive, there are better words to use rather than a historically derogatory term. Unless in North Carolina, China man is/was not considered derogatory compared to California where it most likely is. Interesting to see that this may also reflect a regional difference.

As I understand it the term 'Chinaman', because of historical use in a pejorative context, is now considered objectionable. My own feeling regarding context and intent is that, if someone used such a term without realizing that it was considered offensive then they should not be demonized for it. However, that doesn't mean that it's okay for the term to be used and, ideally, the post in question really ought to be edited or deleted.

Perhaps it was just a grammatical misstep, and he intended to convey "Chinese man" instead.

Scooter

During my tender seven decades I've seen a lot of English language words and phrases change in definition, meaning, intent, from offensive to okay and vice versa. It's hard enough to keep track of language usage in one country (or even region with a country), let alone in all lands where a particular language is prevalent. Trying to keep up with who's offended by what and why can be a losing battle, especially when words and phrases are presented in sound-bite abbreviated format.

On any given day any one of us can be tagged with the insensitive (or worse) label if what we say/write is rebroadcast in a redacted manner so that total context and structure, as well as intent, is not shown/heard. I try to give the speaker/writer the benefit of doubt at all times, because most folk are decent folk who don't go out to intentionally offend.

Once on this forum I had an issue with a posting's terminology content. I discussed the matter directly with the member via private message - and the result was a new understanding by both of us, and a new respect and friendship occurred. It seemed at the time that the private approach was more appropriate than a public one.

Perhaps it was just a grammatical misstep, and he intended to convey "Chinese man" instead.

Scooter

This is exactly what I thought, before reading Scooter's post. OP, if you don't want to buy from them, then don't buy from them. Then you have made a statement about how you feel about the term you are convinced they knowingly used, or maybe just the typo they unknowingly made.

IMHO, I am Chinese, I personally am not offended by the way "China man" was used. In fact, In south east asia, we use it the same way as well. It is a descriptive term more than anything. Chinese, Malays, Indian, Caucasian men denotes bloodline where as China, Malaysian , Indian , American denotes country of origin.

China man to me means: Made by a man from China. A man , just like you and me who happens to be a regular guy from Singapore, a Singaporean man.

I grew up on the west coast, and for me that term catches on my ear so to speak. However, the way the rest of the sentence reads I get the gist that he's acknowledging there is little difference between himself and someone else building ukes on the other side of the world. Skill is skill is how I'm interpreting it. I'd give him the benefit of the doubt in this case. Laungauge can be tricky. There's regional differences to consider, besides tone and body luanguage that is lacking in the written word. Also, there are a lot of people on the forum for whom English is not their native language.

Without any links to the post in question, it would be diffucult for any of the Mods to make a call whether or not it's intent is of a derogotory manner. I'm quite positive if the intent was to offend, the complaints by members would have been numerous. If you decide it should be further reviewed, provide me with the link to the post via PM. Much Mahalos ...

i don't normally chime in on things like this, but I am a libertarian and as accepting of a person as you'll likely meet. I mean that. I will give you a chance if no matter if you're left, right, center or whatever. However, I ask this of the OP, were you offended? I get standing up for the under represented and all, but getting offended on behalf of others seems to really be trending upward. I'm of mixed ethnicity and it really bugs me when someone get offended on my behalf.

Just my two cents.

Love to all.

Since it was written as China man, I read it as a man from China. It was not written Chinaman, which in pronunciation is the derogatory term. I actually had to read jollyboy's post spelling it that way to realize why Sig808 thought the statement was offensive.

Also, there are a lot of people on the forum for whom English is not their native language.

Unfortunately it's even more complicated than that. British English is different to US English, and it's not just the spelling. Down-under English is different again. What's fine in one place can be offensive in another.

Sometimes we need to re read what somebody writes to understand what they are saying, because we are all different, we each have different ways of saying the same thing.
I believe the intent was, & I read it as, to convey that no matter where in the world something is made, a skilled person, male or female, is still a skilled person. :)

My take on this every person who posts or responds has to be responsible in making it clear on their statement
No matter who reads it, there should be no excuses that it might have meant otherwise.
I don't care how one writes it, China man is rude, offensive and derogatory racist term to me.

Just my 2 cents : I think you should not over-analyze every word someone posts or say, but see the concept behind.
I am italian and I just watched a video from Stu Fuchs in which he acted like a stereotypical italian (gestures a lot, shots compulsivly "Molto bene" and so). I found it funny and made me laugh.
I am quite sure some italians could find it offensive, but I know it was not meant for that at all.
I think stereotype or common saying does not necessary reflect any derogatory or racist idea, but are means to just explain a concept.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom