Gig to play ukulele.

KohanMike

Los Angeles, Beverly Grove West
UU VIP
Reaction score
After a couple of years of only playing bass uke with The CC Strummers and looking for a group to play the uke again, last Tuesday I joined two harmonica players who lost their ukulele player. Every week they play in the lobby of the Los Angeles Veterans Hospital for two hours while the wife of one gives out pastries and coffee.

For all intents and purposes we're background music as people pass by, so it's really casual, which takes the pressure off of me since I'm still a little rusty playing uke, though a number of people stopped and listened, and applauded. All in all it was very gratifying and worthwhile.

What a great opportunity...and meaningful, too.

When you say, "lost," I hope that doesn't mean "deceased." I have this image of a ukulele player wandering somewhere in the mountains of California, looking for two harmonica players.

And isn't two harmonica players redundant? :)

There is a series of band jokes about woodwind players...such as, "How do you get two piccolos to play in tune? Fire one". That might apply here. :)

Actually, a good thread might be, "Ukulele Jokes." Need to go search that topic here on UU.

Oops, didn't mean to cause confusion, should have said dropped out, she had too many other commitments. The guys are very good harmonica players, doing harmonies between each other. I play harmonica too, and they've asked if I want to take up the bass harmonica, but I said no since this is my opportunity to play uke again.

That's great. Thank you for doing it. The vets I have worked with have commented that they really appreciate it when groups come to perform. Keep it up!

WTG Mike! Have a ball.

I used to bring one of my dogs, (therapy dog), to the local VA hospital, so I know how much it's appreciated when we give our time to our vets.
Thanks for doing this, and enjoy!!

That is fabulous Mike, it sounds like a lot of fun. I am really impressed with how involved you are with giving back. I applaud you for it, thank you.

That's a great idea. I've approached a nursing home that my youngest uncle was in three times about doing a free monthly hour-long gig, and have never gotten a response from the activities director. (The offer was given to the social worker, once before and twice after my uncle passed away.)

My Eldest uncle was a resident of the local VA Hospital nursing facility for the past three years before he passed away last Sunday (His B-29 was rammed by a Kamikaze, and he was one of 3 survivors, spending the final 9 months of WWII in solitary confinement in a POW camp). You've given me the idea to contact the Albany VA, and offer my services. I will do so, right after the first of the year, and let you know how it goes.

Thanks!

-Kurt​

Apparently there was no formal application, the leader was telling me yesterday it started one day when he went to the VA with his wife, who volunteered on the coffee/pastry cart, and since he always carried a harmonica, just noodled on it while waiting for her. He told his friend, who came by one time and joined in with his own harmonica. That went on for a few weeks when one of them mentioned it to a uke player and she joined in. That's been over a year. We just sit behind the coffee cart and play casually.

Top Bottom