Apology

AndrewKuker

Reaction score
This is a response to a “offensive comment..” thread. I realize it might not be good form to start a thread about one that was shut down but I just saw it, and it was about something I wrote so I wanted to respond.

My sincerest apologies for using an offensive term. I didn’t realize. I don’t want anyone to criticize the OP of that thread but is ironic how it was offensive when the idea was to deny a common notion in our country that something made in China is not as good as something made in America, and to point to the fact that if an instrument is good then it’s good, no matter where it was made or what race the craftsman is. China has a long history in the arts and high quality craftsmanship. But in more recent history companies around the world have commissioned them to make make cheap stuff. That’s changing a lot lately, but for years there was this idea that they didn’t make high quality products. Obviously someone of any race in any part of the world can potentially build great ukes and China has some great custom builders as well some factories making really good ukes, as many of you know. That was my point. I still have to remember exactly what article that was and change it. Must be a few years old. Nobody ever mentioned it to me. I don’t know why I wrote it that way but I guess saying China man more spoke to them being in China because we have a lot of Chinese people working in ukulele factories here building Hawaiian ukes. And it was sort of a literary reference, I think, I don’t know, I’m not a writer. I’ll find it and change it though. Hopefully there's no hard feelings and I apologize to whomever I offended.

I definitely have to keep learning. It’s a changing world. You know how many new gender pronouns I still don’t understand? As far as racism, we sort of make fun of all races and people here in Hawaii, especially whatever we are. It’s not racist. It’s nice being in such a melting pot of so many cultures and poking fun is not usually considered offensive here. Even when I was young and the kids in the neighborhood would call me haole boy I never got offended. I didn’t care, they were playing with me. They weren’t racist. Actually I don’t think I’ve ever been discriminated against here. I got sent in at V-land one time by Da Hui guys, but I dropped in on one of them, so it was my fault. But yeah, Hawaii has always been different because of how it happened with the sugar industry taking immigrants from around the world and all the cultures mixing. It’s a good thing. Plus doz Potageez brought ovah dakine, one machete. Remember that Keola Beamer song Mr Sun Cho Lee? Oh that reminds me, I just found out recently that my mom dated Rap Reiplinger when she was young. Lol! But yeah, Frank Delima and all those type comedians are really funny to me. Hopefully we don’t have to walk on eggshells too much when our actions are what really speak to our ethics. Corey does a killer Hong Kong accent but loves the people and has great friends there. And I can speak for everyone on our staff that we all have love for good people around the world that put food on our table daily. I know for a fact that all of us on our team think of racism as a seriously ugly character flaw passed down from generations of ignorance. I like the RSA videos and this is one of my favorite ones on this subject. It speaks to the fact that we are all one human family and hopefully that will continue to be more and more realized by all of us as we grow in our empathy for all fellow humans.

Hey Buddy,

You are a fine, outstanding individual and I am proud to call you a friend and my Uke dealer of choice.

People need to understand context and not take words out of their context or message.

Love ya, man.

Thank you for your post. You have a very open minded approach to things. If a Hawaiian calls me a haole, then that's what I am to her. Our society has become way too thin skinned. We are losing our sense of humor. One of the major elements of my nursing assessments is humor. A person without a SOH is already dead.
Someone asked me how we are going to get through the next 4 years, and I answered, "Humor, baby."
We've GOT to learn to laugh at ourselves, just as long and hard as we do at someone else.
If anyone is offended by what I've written, go find something to laugh about and forget about it.

No need to apologize, Andrew, but you did anyways. You are a caring class act, as always. Thank you, and Thanksgiving best to you and your family.

Andrew is one of the most open, accepting guys I know. I am quite certain the comment was made without any malicious intent. I agree we have to walk very carefully with what we say, especially these days when there has been so much negativity between groups of people who think differently from each other. Hawaii is one different state and it exudes more love and Aloha than any place I've ever been. We have respect for each other and we all get along despite being a very diverse population. We also don't take everything quite so seriously and we love a little humor in our lives. To illustrate that point give listen to this widely popular song. Here's the description of the video:
"At first glance of this song and video, you think racist, but if you ever lived in Hawaii, this is not at all racist, this is how we live on this island and the song by the keola and kapono beamer portrays this. In the old cane field days this is how they all got along and worked together creating the unique languiage called "pidgin english'."

Jus' the opinion of one white haole boy on da Big island.

Great song Chuck! Never heard it before.

And Shakespeare's sentiments - the ones that inspired Andrew's comments - simply mean that whether one is Jew or Chinese or anything else: "if you prick us, do we not bleed?".

Last edited:
That was well said. You are a positive presence.

Andrew I like you buddy.
I would rather deal w a person like you than some persons I come across in and around my community who dont give a care for any tact, bettering oneself, good citizenship, a yield for the common man, or a sense of moral or civil obligation. They never think. Really think.

Wow! I haven't come around much lately, and I've posted even less. Whatever happened to reading in context? I guess the literary reference was completely missed as well...

If the world were filled with Andrews, it would be a much better place. Keep on keepin' on, my brother!

There was no need to apologize because your true spirit is very well known to any and all that have come in contact with you. The fact that you took the time and made the effort to do so just proves it even more.

There was no need to apologize because your true spirit is very well known to any and all that have come in contact with you. The fact that you took the time and made the effort to do so just proves it even more.

Well said.

Andrew, with every single action of yours, you prove that you're a good man. I feel sorry this even came up, because all of your words and actions speak for themselves. I know there are hundreds (probably thousands) of loyal customers from around the world who appreciate you, your work, your team, your store, your videos, and your reviews. Maybe something is going wrong with education when people don't understand a fine literary reference.

This ......

Andrew, with every single action of yours, you prove that you're a good man. I feel sorry this even came up, because all of your words and actions speak for themselves. I know there are hundreds (probably thousands) of loyal customers from around the world who appreciate you, your work, your team, your store, your videos, and your reviews. Maybe something is going wrong with education when people don't understand a fine literary reference.

The above says it all.

Top Bottom