NUD Martin OXK

Uk3player78

Reaction score
Just got one of these in the mail today. Woke up after nightshift to see the box but head out to pick up wife and my 2 young daughters from a xmas event... Then the weekly shop. Guess i'll have a look when we get back. :D

I have a Koaloha KCM00 and i wanted to add a soprano. I did contemplate going all out on a really nice 'high end' soprano but i calmed myself and looked for a good deal instead. I managed to find the OXK as a display model online for a good price and ordered. Played Martin's till my uke interest took off so i have an affinity for the brand.

i'm not really a soprano guy i prefer concert but sometimes i fancy a go of a soprano thus something i can leave in it's case for extended periods suits me best. I liked the consistency of the OXK tone on YouTube so i think i made the right decision.

When it comes to tone i don't think much will surpass my Koaloha it really does throw everything and the kitchen sink a you. Such a stunning uke. A great combo!

Congrats indeed! I got a good deal on one about a year ago and have zero complaints. Great everyday uke.

These are nice little ukuleles. I got mine a couple of years ago during a Black Friday event and it is a favorite. Like you, I got mine after I got a KoAloha.

I took it to an authorized Martin repair center and had them put on strap buttons on the lower bout and the heel. With a strap on it, I never notice any heaviness in the neck.

It is great for fingerpicking.

Ah, the call of the soprano. :) I always revert back to that size and ultimately like its sound best (even longnecks sound different). I went with the Kiwaya/Famous FS-5G instead of an OXK when I added an instrument that wasn't to be solid wood (growing increasingly more turned off by having to use a humidifier or watching the hygrometer as I prefer to leave my daily player out in the open), but the OXK was my other choice and I may eventually pick one up so I can compare! (Not much choice for good-sounding non-solid ukes.)

Play it proudly and don't leave it too long in its case. :)

Congrats! I hope you enjoy yours as much as I have enjoyed mine!

Just popping in my thoughts after a day for any researchers (like me) who like to gather the videos and thoughts before having one shipped. Buy before you play style.

After the shopping was packed away i took the Koaloha and the Martin up to the bedroom away from the noise of the kids at play so dad could concentrate on his new toy. Intonation is pretty spot on due to a compensated saddle. A clean build inside and out with nice frets which allow easy sliding up the fretboard.

As a high pressure laminate it sounds different to other laminates i have owned it really vibrates and can be felt on your chest. I do the play away from chest on all uke tests and leaving the back free ramps up the resonance like a solid wood instrument. Its like they bottled the essence of the old Martins and sold it voiced as it will stay for many years. A plucky plinky sound picked with a mellow twist. Loud and decent around 4 second sustain without holding it to my ear and despite the build a very woody sound.

I would guess these new bamboo etc colored OXK's will sound the same. For fun i took it against the Koaloha but that's not a fair fight. :) I hope this helps.

I picked up one of the Martin bamboos during at a merch booth during a recent music festival and I liked it a lot. It's lighter than the 0XK and has a slightly brighter sound (IIRC). I'm not going to ditch my 0XK, but if I were choosing between the two and budget wasn't the object, I'd probably choose bamboo.

got mine about a month ago and I'm currently using it as my go-to uke
for song circles and gigs.

Most recently, did the Pike Market Season Opener in their Atrium with 5 other
members of STRUM. That was our 4th or 5th year for the event :)

I like it because, clumsy as I am, I have no fear of 'dinging' it, as I would be
fearful of banging a wooden uke... and leaving a 'ding'.

Also, I tend to grow my fingernails to assist with strumming, and usually I
leave marks on the upper bouts of my wooden ukes. Because the High Pressure
Laminate (HPL) is the same as 'Formica(r)', or countertop material, there are no
visible strum marks... so far :)

I do find that the volume is quite a bit less than my wooden ukes, solid and laminate, but as long as the members can hear my intros, it's all good :)

keep uke'in',

Last edited:
I picked up one of the Martin bamboos during at a merch booth during a recent music festival and I liked it a lot. It's lighter than the 0XK and has a slightly brighter sound (IIRC). I'm not going to ditch my 0XK, but if I were choosing between the two and budget wasn't the object, I'd probably choose bamboo.

Interesting. I guess they have spent time perfecting the design.

Ah, the call of the soprano. :) I always revert back to that size and ultimately like its sound best (even longnecks sound different). I went with the Kiwaya/Famous FS-5G instead of an OXK when I added an instrument that wasn't to be solid wood (growing increasingly more turned off by having to use a humidifier or watching the hygrometer as I prefer to leave my daily player out in the open), but the OXK was my other choice and I may eventually pick one up so I can compare! (Not much choice for good-sounding non-solid ukes.)

Play it proudly and don't leave it too long in its case. :)

Understand where you're coming from - and I really want to try a Kiwaya, but I'm more of a concert than a soprano player. Another option for a good sounding non-solid ukes are the Blackbirds - Clara, Farrallon and their carbon fiber tenor.

Understand where you're coming from - and I really want to try a Kiwaya, but I'm more of a concert than a soprano player. Another option for a good sounding non-solid ukes are the Blackbirds - Clara, Farrallon and their carbon fiber tenor.

Before buying the Martin, a soprano Kiwaya was calling my name. Then it was gone and the Martin was available for something like $160, easing my regrets.

Kiwaya make a concert version of the FS-5: the Famous FC-5. I haven't played one, and it's a bit more expensive than the soprano version, but it's most likely just as awesome.

Top Bottom