Laminate baritone

Piecomics

Reaction score
Hi, I am interested in getting a laminate baritones for my nephew. Not looking for something overly expensive, but I definitely do not want something "cheap". Any recommendations? Konablaster looks interesting…

Thanks!

The lanakai lu21b is a pretty solid and affordable choice; as are the entry level Kalas and caramels.

If you're in the UK check out the Brunswick range (from Barnes & Mullins). I've got the BU5B ... well worth the price :)

I'm looking for something a step (or two) up from the entry level Kala. The laminate is primarily because he won't be able to attend to the humidity issue...

Are you somewhere where humidity is a big problem? I have been looking at getting a cheapish baritone for myself and have my eye on the Kala KA-SBG spruce top.

Well, I don't really know how to answer that. I am in the middle Atlantic region as is my nephew. Definitely lots of forced air heat, and maybe I am overly paranoid?

Well, I don't really know how to answer that. I am in the middle Atlantic region as is my nephew. Definitely lots of forced air heat, and maybe I am overly paranoid?

Well, no, I think it's obviously something to take into consideration. The SBG has a gloss finish so might prove a little more resilient, maybe :)

Edit: And keeping it in a gig bag with a humidifier, if required, would help too.

Edit: And if you wanted to spend a little more then the Kala cedar top range is very popular.

Last edited:
Being forced by circumstances to be parsimonious, I bought a Caramel CB-103 Baritone. Under $90 and beautiful Zebra wood laminate. intonation is great and sounds as good as a lot of $300-800 Baritones I tested. The Kala ceder top I tested was different but perhaps a little better.

Top Bottom