Fair resale values

SailingUke

Uke legend in my own mind
UU VIP
Reaction score
Just wondering what folks here believe is a fair resale value for preowned instruments. Assuming the instrument is in excellent condition. Does it make a difference whether the instrument is a factory made or custom made? Mass produced or limited production? Of course vintage instruments have different guide lines.

Just like any other item it depends on availablity or how rare. I think custom built instruments in excellent condition and just a couple years old would be discounted approx. 20-30% , same for most K brands. Everything else that is mass produced will retain less of it's original value. Naturally as the condition lessens so does the resale value.

Here is my take on custom ukuleles. When we say "custom", I think of a ukulele that someone commissioned a Luthier to build to their specifications. In that case, I would not value a ukulele built to someone else's specifications very high. If I wanted a custom, I would want my custom, not someone else's. But there is a difference between a "custom" built ukulele, and one built by above said Luthier for spec. In that case, it isn't a custom, it is a hand built ukulele. Those would have much more value to me, because my reasoning would be that the Luthier is probably much more knowledgeable than someone who commissions a "custom" ukulele, therefore would reflect that experience and knowledge. But that is my view of non-production ukuleles.

I think 60-70%% of the original value (plus shipping) is probably a reasonable expectation. At least that's the range in which I sold three instruments (that were in mind to lightly used condition), and it's also the price range where I would consider buying a used instrument. This is for "standardized" instruments, not customs. With customs, there are too many variables and it's also hard to judge the instrument without seeing it in person (also a problem with non-customs, but easier to at least have some general idea).

A lot depends on the seller's motivation. There are times when I'll put something on sale, but not in any great hurry or need to sell it. So, the price will be fairly fixed in the range historically seen within the online marketplaces. Then there are times when I have an immediate need to sell (usually to make space for something new) and the price is lowered to cause a quick sell. As the price of ukes involved is not normally in the high-hundreds or more, there's a lot of negotiation room.

I can't remember a time when I sold an instrument for more than 75% what I paid for it. For that reason I prefer trading rather than selling. Both parties get something new for normally no more than the shipping cost, and the fun continues. It really gets interesting when trading back the same instruments some time later.

Value/Price varies depending on how motivated the seller is to sell, and how motivated the buyer is to buy.

A seller can decide that an instrument is worth a certain amount to them and if they don't get that offer then they will keep it.
A buyer can look at an instrument and decide that its worth a certain amount yet without a suitable incentive they're just not prepared to buy.

Anthony

Thanks for the older thread, my search came up empty. Your search term must have better than mine.

Here is my take on custom ukuleles. When we say "custom", I think of a ukulele that someone commissioned a Luthier to build to their specifications. In that case, I would not value a ukulele built to someone else's specifications very high. If I wanted a custom, I would want my custom, not someone else's. But there is a difference between a "custom" built ukulele, and one built by above said Luthier for spec. In that case, it isn't a custom, it is a hand built ukulele. Those would have much more value to me, because my reasoning would be that the Luthier is probably much more knowledgeable than someone who commissions a "custom" ukulele, therefore would reflect that experience and knowledge. But that is my view of non-production ukuleles.

Interesting point, but I think most people think of a custom uke as something made in a low, small production shop by 1-2 luthiers. Many "custom" shops build quite a few spec ukes; that is, they decide what to make and then offer it for sale. Also, HMS offers many "custom" ukes such as Hive, Kinnard, Moore Bettah, Ko'olau, Beau Hannam, Hoffman, LFdM, Ono, Little River, etc.. These weren't spec'd by the people who buy them but I think most everyone would agree they are ukes made by "custom" builders.

Interesting point, but I think most people think of a custom uke as something made in a low, small production shop by 1-2 luthiers. Many "custom" shops build quite a few spec ukes; that is, they decide what to make and then offer it for sale. Also, HMS offers many "custom" ukes such as Hive, Kinnard, Moore Bettah, Ko'olau, Beau Hannam, Hoffman, LFdM, Ono, Little River, etc.. These weren't spec'd by the people who buy them but I think most everyone would agree they are ukes made by "custom" builders.
I would agree with your list of custom builders, but I would argue that not all of their ukuleles are custom ukuleles. But you can go ahead and use whatever definition that you want, that doesn't change what the ukulele is to me and my view of it. If it is something that you had especially built for you, to your specifications, with your own little personal intricacies, call it what you want, I probably wouldn't be interested. I could be wrong, because I'm just going on my own preferences. But I would think that you are narrowing the market when you start putting those personal markers on it.

Last edited:
I guess that you can use any definition that you want, but that doesn't change what the ukulele is and my view of it. If it is something that you had especially built for you, to your specifications, call it what you want, I probably wouldn't be interested. I could be wrong, because I'm just going on my own preferences. But I would think that you are narrowing the market when you start putting those personal markers on it.

It doesn't change your view, but IMO it looks like there tends to be a quick sale for something like a used Kinnard, so while it's not of interest to you, there is a definite market for those "custom" ukuleles.

There is a smaller market for the higher end ukuleles in general, whether a Moore Bettah or deluxe Kamaka, but having watched those Moore Bettah auctions on HMS, (can't bid on those myself, but fun to watch!), it's clear that some people are very interested in a chance to buy them.

I would agree with your list of custom builders, but I would argue that not all of their ukuleles are custom ukuleles. But you can go ahead and use whatever definition that you want, that doesn't change what the ukulele is to me and my view of it. If it is something that you had especially built for you, to your specifications, with your own little personal intricacies, call it what you want, I probably wouldn't be interested. I could be wrong, because I'm just going on my own preferences. But I would think that you are narrowing the market when you start putting those personal markers on it.

If one personalizes the uke like has their initials or their dog's face, I agree 1,000%. But while for you someone else choosing the the woods, bindings, etc. makes it undersirable, for most it doesn't matter much. That's why used Kinnards, MBU's. etc. tend to sell very quickly.

If one personalizes the uke like has their initials or their dog's face, I agree 1,000%. But while for you someone else choosing the the woods, bindings, etc. makes it undersirable, for most it doesn't matter much. That's why used Kinnards, MBU's. etc. tend to sell very quickly.
And that well could be. I often find that my thinking when it comes to most things ukulele is not in line with the general consensus.

Last edited:
I often find that my thinking when it comes to most things ukulele is not in line with the general consensus.

I think I'm with you there, I don't intend on paying big money for any uke. :)

If I can get a good sound out of a low to mid priced uke, that's where I'm at.
(Of course, what qualifies as mid price varies with peoples income. ;) )

when I used to work in music instrument retail - as a ballpark for 'factory made' it was between 50 and 60% of current retail value if good condition.

Much above that you had to question if you were taking risk for little reward. You do mostly lose any guarantee etc.

The only real exception was stuff simply not available new any more, or something very difficult to get because of either locality or waiting list.

Many people seem to have a pretty unrealistic expectation of what they can sell stuff for, esp if they want to charge shipping and buying new you can often get shipped for free ....

Resale value of absolutely anything is always the same. It is what a willing seller will accept and a willing buyer will pay.

Top Bottom