New Uke Party

DownUpDave

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
I am fortunate in many ways regarding all things ukulele. Because I live close to a big city (Toronto) there is a very healthy ukulele community. I have made some good friends and we go to jams together and gather at my house from time to time.

We are also blessed that Luis of LfdM Guitars and Ukuleles lives just 10 minutes away from me. I own one of his tenors and so does Simon. Now so does Brenda, she recently received her tenor named Mercedes. She picked Sitka spruce with Amazon rosewood and leopard wood trim. Luis truely makes some of the finest instruments in the world. While picking up her tenor uke she met Robin Harrison who was picking up his tenor guitar, the first Luis has made.

I was going to throw a coming out party for Brendas new LfdM and realized there were 5 of us that had received new instruments so a NEW UKE PARTY was in order.The first pic has Luis kneeling in the middle. The second pic has Luis and his wife Rose in the middle.

Attachments

• LFDMfamily.jpg
    LFDMfamily.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 209
  • group.jpg
    group.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 172
  • UU PHOTOREVISED.jpg
    UU PHOTOREVISED.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 161
  • Mercedes.jpg
    Mercedes.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 132
  • Luis and Adam.jpg
    Luis and Adam.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 142
Last edited:
Robin also brought along a Jay Lichty 19" tenor, gorgeous curl redwood top. Luis showed us a new tenor uke he completed that has tail piece like Robins tenor guitar

Jay Lichty 19 inch tenor.jpgLfdM tail.piece.jpgtoys.jpg

Tim was the only one to show up with a REAL UKULELE........a soprano. It is a Pono all mahogany Pro Classic with rosewood bindings and a radius fret board. Played and sounded great.

Adam had his new Webber tenor with Englmen spruce top and curly claro walnut back and sides. I have a Webber tenor and David Webber makes great instruments

Pono front.jpgPono Pro Classic soprano.jpgPono back.jpgWebber tenor.jpgWebber tenor back.jpg

Last edited:
Robin Harrisons new tenor guitar was one of the most spectacular instruments I have had the pleasure of playing. The sound was full, crisp articulate with great projection. The ultimate tenor guitar. Bearclaw spruce and ziracote back and sides, arm rest sound port and the coolest looking tail piece.

TG 2.jpgTG 3.jpgTG 4.jpgTG 7.jpg

Attachments

• TG 6.jpg
    TG 6.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:
Very impressive Dave. So many wonderful ukuleles in one location. I bet it was fun trying them all. I would expect that all of Luis's ukuleles were very similar in sound! Or did you find that the woods characteristic stood out. I see a lot of spruce and what looks like a redwood top. Curious in your comments. You are very fortunate.

Luis makes beautiful renditions of the Selmer Maccaferri gypsy jazz guitars from the 1930s and 40s. It always fascinated me how Django Reinhardt used his only two left hand fingers on the fretboard.

Last edited:
Copy, or brilliant homage? Luis's work is stunning.

Fwiw, I believe Django had only 2 functional fingers on his left hand. An amazing player and an example that you can always work around the supposed rules of the "right" way to play.

Last edited:
You guys realize that Luis's design is a copy of the Selmer Maccaferri gypsy jazz guitars made in the 1930s and 40s, and made famous by Django Reinhardt and his unique swing style using his three fingered left hand on the fretboard. The tailpiece is an exact copy.

why do you try to bring the new owners and their party down looks like a fun thread.... ....:) pretty sure they know...but that is how you are I guess.....I have an LFDM and I knew....

congrats Brenda...and your friends in Toronto.....

Last edited:
Well you all need to bring your lfdms, to hawaii for a get together soon, happy strummings all

What a cool party! The Mercedes has a very pretty back. And that bridge on Robin's gives the top some great character. The tailpiece is different on an acoustic and fun. Good times, thanks for sharing.

Thank you Dave for all of the great pictures of what looks like was a wonderful time. Some magnificent ukuleles, and that tenor guitar..... Oh boy!

This New Uke to me also showed up

Hi Gang,

This Uke also showed up.

Not brand new, but new to me.

It is wonderful to play and many thanks to previous owners for keeping it in superb shape.

Attachments

• IMG_7663.jpg
    IMG_7663.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_7659.jpg
    IMG_7659.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_7656.jpg
    IMG_7656.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 47
Hi Gang,

This Uke also showed up.

Not brand new, but new to me.

It is wonderful to play and many thanks to previous owners for keeping it in superb shape.

I could not down load these pictures for the life of me. I had everyone there take "glamour shots"and send them to me. I had to ask Simon to add to his thread with his pictures

Simon brought his LfdM as well as this beautiful Ko'olau. It is one of the very best reentrant ukes I have every played and as you can see the koa is gorgeous

Very impressive Dave. So many wonderful ukuleles in one location. I bet it was fun trying them all. I would expect that all of Luis's ukuleles were very similar in sound! Or did you find that the woods characteristic stood out. I see a lot of spruce and what looks like a redwood top. Curious in your comments. You are very fortunate.

Monty.....how's things out west. We had three spruce top LfdMs at the party and one with sinker redwood and malaysian blackwood. They all have a similar LfdM sound but the redwood tops sounds warmer, mellower and deeper. As you would expect compared to spruce.

Looking good, guys. Great to see all my Canadian friends united in one picture. And some great looking ukes you got there. Congratulations to all of you, wish I could have been there, too.

Top Bottom