It All Started With Paul!

soupy1957

Reaction score
I remember visiting my uncles house when I was quite young, probably in the mid 60's, and holding my first Ukulele, that my cousin had on her bed. I was already playing guitar for a few years by that point, and was intrigued by the size of what I believe was a soprano ukulele, and the sound of it.

The next time that a Ukulele made an impression on me, was hearing one played in a song called "Ram On," by Paul McCartney, circa 1971.

But it wasn't until around 2013 or so, that I went out and finally bought my first one, (a Mitchell), and started learning how to play one.

I had watched a video on DVD, a tribute to George Harrison, which I had wanted to see "Live," but didn't get the chance to. The closing song, as you recall, you who watched it, was a Ukulele song, sung by Joe Brown, "I'll See You In My Dreams."

This set me on a path from which I would not return. I went into YouTube and found every possible video available that would teach me that song. The video I settled on, and learned from ultimately, was this one:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=usH3LrkmRbU

After that, I started watching & learning as much as I could, from different people who play Ukulele, and I'm still at it today. It has been good therapy for my soul, especially thru 2016, having lost my first
wife of 37 years, re-marrying, and then losing my job in a company downsizing. after thirteen years at that particular location.

Granted, the therapeutic effect of "music" in general, is at the core of my survival, but the simplicity and the "Little Engine That Could," humility of the Ukulele, was and is, at the core of my ability to cope with life's changes, and unexpected twists and turns.

I'm not sure where I will go next in my Ukulele learning, insofar as the music is concerned, but I prefer the more astetic, calm and calming tunes, as opposed to the 1930's Vaudaville style. Not necessarily "Classical" material, but not show tunes either.

Perhaps songs like this, adapted for Ukulele:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=wL2qj16Hw_w

I now have three Uke's, the most recent is a Tenor, which is a departure for me, from the Concert size Uke's I have typically purchased:

IMG_0574.jpg

Great post soupy. Many of us find solace in the vibrating hue of our favorite Ukes. I hope things look up for you soon but either way keep strumming.

I also echo your sentiment on music style. I like to watch an listen to the old vaudeville type stuff but I'd rather play finger style and mixed slower more melodic music.

Anyway best to you.

Trevor

The leader of our uke group, a trained psychologist, extolls the virtues of playing music to sooth the soul. I certainly use it for such to ward off the stresses of managing apartment buildings and a 94 year old mother who for 67 years thinks nothing I do is good enough.

Listening to music has always been good for me when I needed a lift, as well as generally liked.
I have an eclectic taste, so there is something for every mood. :)

With the uke, I prefer to play mainly melodies, though I will try all styles eventually, I hope. ;)

That was a beautiful story Soupy, and I thank you for sharing! I believe, more than my other instruments, there is something very calming and almost nurturing about the ukulele, like it gives you back that sense of childhood security and love we eventually loose site of as we age. It definitely helped you, and that makes me very happy!

Top Bottom