After Many Tries - the Right Kamaka Pineapple Strings!

Charley

Reaction score
Today I put a set of Kamaka strings on my gold label pineapple. Man - it's the sound I always imagined this ukulele having, but hadn't quite achieved yet.

I've had this instrument for about three years. After getting the bridge re-glued by an expert luthier, I kept hoping for something more in the sound than what I was getting. A few months ago at the LA Ukulele Festival, I played other old pineapples and liked them, but mine didn't sound like those.

Finally, after trying Aquilas, Worth, D'Addario and finally Kamaka, the sound was immediately what I was looking for. Can't wait until they fully break in, but I'm already loving the difference.

Interesting comment on the Kamaka strings. I just ordered a set for my Long Neck Concert.

I have a newer Kamaka Tenor. Like you, I tried many different strings (I have a drawer full of unused strings to prove it) and came back full circle to the Kamaka Strings, they sound and feel the best to me. Other players may disagree, strings are a personal preference.

On the Kamaka website, they recommend using their strings for best results. I understand they are actually made buy D'Addario. There are similar string diameters and tensions but I still prefer the Kamaka's. I just recently ordered another 9 sets for the future, that should last me about 18-20 months. I wear them out quickly because of playing time.

Top Bottom