Martin 5k?

UkieOkie

Reaction score
Have any of you folks owned or played a Martin 5k? If so what do you think? With a suggested retail of over $5k I would hope they are spectacular.

Let's hear your experience with them.

I trust you mean new, not vintage, LOL. They are really nice. You can find them for $4,500 or less. Pua Pua on Oahu had one when I was there two weeks ago. Actually, they have a very impressive selection of Martin customs in different sizes. Also check Elderly and Reverb.

I knew Ukes could go high but not quite as high as that.

Yeah, I wonder if I am missing something? In the case of Martin 1 vs. 3 vs. 5 models, it seems you are paying an extreme premium for appearance. I can't imagine most people could hear a noticeable difference between an apples to apples recording done by same player in same room with same mic. With other brands, these upgrades do not appear to be as extreme.

A friend of mine works at the Martin factory, making guitar necks. He said that whenever I want to go up on a tour, he'd take me around. He also said he can get me a discount on one of their instruments. I'm hoping to put that to good use in 2017.

Yeah, I wonder if I am missing something? In the case of Martin 1 vs. 3 vs. 5 models, it seems you are paying an extreme premium for appearance. I can't imagine most people could hear a noticeable difference between an apples to apples recording done by same player in same room with same mic. With other brands, these upgrades do not appear to be as extreme.

It does have some fancy MOP/Abalone inlay on the rosette and the purfling. Also a fancy inlay to the head. The wood is also figured. Those details will account for some of the price. Of course none of this has the slightest bearing on the sound. I guess that the name Martin allows them to charge a premium.

I can't imagine most people could hear a noticeable difference between an apples to apples recording done by same player in same room with same mic. With other brands, these upgrades do not appear to be as extreme.

A lot of people can't even hear the difference between different woods, strings, or builders who use different bracing, if previous blind tests are something to go by. The attraction may well be the high price, and the perception that if it's very expensive, it also must be very good (it often is, but it's not always better than something cheaper, and preference plays into it too). I see nothing wrong with the price, though. I'd not pay it, or anything close to it, but the demand is there, so the product is offered.

My recent 5K was worth the price to me. I paid just over $3000.00 for it, brand new from a Martin dealer, (I like to negotiate, we began at $4300.00 ). I'm sure there are many who will feel that the 5K is not worth the money, but you very rarely see a used one used, so it appears that most of us are satisfied. If I dwell on what I paid it will affect my enjoyment, so I just enjoy it. It is like they say about Harleys, "if I have to explain it, you won't understand". A Moore Bettah is worth the money to some, but not to all. You pay for the years of craftsmanship and skill, the art and the patient attention to detail. It's not just "bling", it's art when it's done right.

Martin says that it is the same level as their 45 guitar, (approximately $12,000.00). You have to see one up close to appreciate it. And playing it will further that appreciation. Mine sounds and plays as I would expect from a top level Martin. The Martin 5K is American made and the production run is small, so it will be expensive. The cost of materials will be less than for a guitar, but build time and effort will be about the same. It is a true work of art and to me it was worth every cent. It is special and only Martin can make a genuine Martin 5K.

Last edited:
It does have some fancy MOP/Abalone inlay on the rosette and the purfling. Also a fancy inlay to the head. The wood is also figured. Those details will account for some of the price. Of course none of this has the slightest bearing on the sound. I guess that the name Martin allows them to charge a premium.

I agree it's serious money for bling, but to some people it's worth it. I'm a bling guy. I paid for several "level 3" Collings instruments even though they are the same build as level 1 (e.g., UC3 vs. UC1). But they include different and highly figured woods, purflings, sunburst. etc. All this added up to 3x the cost of the UC1 or UT1. But it's worth it to me. Every time I look at the instrument is brings me great joy. And often, but not always, the better/more senior luthiers work on the fancier grade instruments. I completely get why it's not worth it to lots of other folks, but it's wonderful we have different strokes for different folks. ;-)

Last edited:
My recent 5K was worth the price to me. I paid just over $3000.00 for it, brand new from a Martin dealer, (I like to negotiate, we began at $4300.00 ). I'm sure there are many who will feel that the 5K is not worth the money, but you very rarely see a used one used, so it appears that most of us are satisfied. If I dwell on what I paid it will affect my enjoyment, so I just enjoy it. It is like they say about Harleys, "if I have to explain it, you won't understand". A Moore Bettah is worth the money to some, but not to all. You pay for the years of craftsmanship and skill, the art and the patient attention to detail. It's not just "bling", it's art when it's done right.

Martin says that it is the same level as their 45 guitar, (approximately $12,000.00). You have to see one up close to appreciate it. And playing it will further that appreciation. Mine sounds and plays as I would expect from a top level Martin. The Martin 5K is American made and the production run is small, so it will be expensive. The cost of materials will be less than for a guitar, but build time and effort will be about the same. It is a true work of art and to me it was worth every cent. It is special and only Martin can make a genuine Martin 5K.

That's a darn good job of haggling! Sounds like you got it practically at dealer cost! If it makes you happy that is what is most important.

I definitely like, and am willing to pay for highly figured/master grade woods, but fortunately (cost wise) I prefer simple adornments for the most part beyond the woods.

I agree it's serious money for bling, but to some people it's worth it. I'm a bling guy. I paid for several "level 3" Collings instruments even though they are the same build as level 1 (e.g., UC3 vs. UC1). But they include different and highly figured woods, purflings, sunburst. etc. All this added up to 3x the cost of the UC1 or UT1. But it's worth it to me. Every time I look at the instrument is brings me great joy. And often, but not always, the better/more senior luthiers work on the fancier grade instruments. I completely get why it's not worth it to lots of other folks, but it's wonderful we have different strokes for different folks. ;-)

Hey Eddie, I guess it's ok to hijack my own thread haha. I played a Collings T1K at OKC music and sound that was simply the best sounding and playing Uke I have ever played. Robin always has a few kanile'as and Collings on hand in addition to the best Uke selection in the state. Well to be honest the tone of the Kanile'as usually win out over the Collings to my taste, but not this time. This thing was even more special than most Collings. Someone is going to get a bargain for that Uke at $1850.

I think anyone that ponied up the money for one would have a fine instrument and no regrets.

I'll be honest i have avoided Martin ukuleles. I migrated from guitar to ukulele in 2011 a story i have posted many times. I was a Martin guitar lover purchasing standard and signature models. I never touched Martin uke's because i never really saw enthusiasm for them. It's all Ohana this Mainland that sounds like an S1 and go with the K brands if you want the real deal and i did... But!

Recently i got an OXK and now i have the Martin bug and S1 on the way. I seriously enjoy the OXK and am now Martin curious. Sure they may not sound like a 1930's style O but that's old played wood. A modern D28 which i bought and enjoyed knowing it wouldn't sound like a vintage D28 served me well... As did the HD28 etc.

I can't be bothered with an eBay crap shoot looking for a issue free vintage Martin ukulele at the moment. As Petey says, these modern Martin's have the jangley tone. I wish i started with them despite the criticism earlier.

FWIW i saw a 5K new on ebay UK for £3500. DEAL! :)

I agree with Ukulele Eddie; if your appreciation of the instrument brings you joy before you even start playing, and as long as it's not bankrupting your finances - then it's all good. There are always people with different takes on these sort of things. I cycle a lot (my main pastime) all genres and with various competitive groups - the same thing applies here. There are fantastic riders who only buy the mid-range models (and have money) and there are riders who buy top end bikes. Quite often the mid-range owners sneer or try to out preform the guys with top end machines to prove something. That's the way it is with almost everything material. I've known family members with money who scrimped through life only to die leaving substantial money in the bank - that won't be be! I've got some lovely ukes and I've only been playing 18 months or so, and I already get enthused and excited to play and learn more, just getting the thing out of the case; in fact before then - just opening the case! It improves my enjoyment and I feel I'm getting twice as much pleasure out of it. It's all good, and if you want a 5k, can afford it then why not - same applies if you spend $100 on a uke and can outperform most then that's your pleasure too. :)

Top Bottom