FS: Pepe Romero Custom Spruce/Italian Flamed Maple Tenor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ukulele Eddie

Reaction score
Pepe Romero Custom Spruce/Italian Flamed Maple Tenor

Price $1,400 plus actual shipping. 72-hour inspection period.

Pepe Romero, from the world-famous Romero guitar family, is known for the great tone in his custom instruments (his guitars are $10k) and this one is no exception. Daniel Ho plays a Romero custom. And here is Corey playing this actual instrument:

I bought this wonderful uke at what I think was a killer deal, knowing I would enjoy it for a couple of months and pass it along to somebody else. Why? Because I love experiencing many different ukes. I was already swimming in spruce/maple ukes and this is yet another wonderful sounding and looking instrument.

I was able to buy it for $1,400 from the second owner, who primarily plays Classical Guitar. He owns three of Pepe's guitars plus another tenor uke that matches one of those. Any way, I am willing to pass it along to another UU'er at the same (plus actual shipping, if shipped). If no takers here in the next week, I will remove and list on FMM at a higher price.

This ukulele is in as-new condition. It has a clear, cling-on protector on the lower bout. While I don't know about the original owner, both I and the gentleman from whom I bought it play fingerstyle. There are no noticeable strum marks.

Here is a link to the listing by The Ukulele Site (
http://www.theukulelesite.com/pepe-romero-custom-spruce-maple-tenor-2014.html) which includes sound sample and photos.

• Spruce Top
  • Italian Flamed Maple Back and Sides
  • Madagascar Rosewood Fret Board, Bridge, Binding, and Faceplate
  • 17 frets total, 12 clear
  • Wood rosette and Pearl position dots
  • Mahogany neck
  • String through Bridge
  • Gotoh UPT geared tuners
  • Hand-done french polish finish
  • Clear protective plastic on lower bout (clings on; can be easily removed)
  • Hard Shell Crossrock Case

PM me or email me at eddiemonnier at me dot com.

P.S. Other instruments possibly coming up for sale include a Collings UT3SMB, Southern Cross Banjo Uke, National Resonator, Kiwaya KTS5, Martin 2K (new) and possibly a vintage Martin 2K.

Edit: Removed the Ono as I immediately had three inquiries and it sold already! Kudos to David Ingalls for the well-deserved recognition of the quality of his work.

Last edited:
That's a beautiful instrument at a great price. Pepe's instruments have wonderful tone and great playability. I would be all over this if I played tenor.

That is the absolute best price I have ever seen for a Pepe tenor! Can't believe this didn't sell in 10 minutes.

Probably just the wrong time of year, expensive month coming up. :)

Very true........but one can always buy "themself" a Christmas present. I love opening up a gift from me to me, I get exactly what I want. Best of luck with the sale Eddie

Beautiful instrument and good luck with the sale!

I hope I'm not sidetracking the post, but I'm curious. How common is it for a tenor to have 12 frets to the body instead of 14? Advantages or disadvantages?

It is not that rare to have 12 frets to the body, Thomas Heller, Candelas, Roberts, and Hive amoung others all have 12 fret to the body models. It allows for the bridge placement at the widest (middle of the lower bout), others such as Compass Rose with his micro jumbo do the same thing with a 14 fret model by changing the body shape to one shorter that has a comparatively wider lower bout. Pepe makes a wonderful and light uke.

Beautiful instrument and good luck with the sale!

I hope I'm not sidetracking the post, but I'm curious. How common is it for a tenor to have 12 frets to the body instead of 14? Advantages or disadvantages?

Thanks. To build on what @tenor madness noted, I believe 14-fret is more prevalent, but there are very highly regarded ukes with 12-frets clear as standard. Besides Pepe, Hive, for example. Collings is 13 clear. Typically a luthier designs for a particular sound. Then, if they want to change the number of frets clear (without making new tooling for different body shape) they have to make accommodations in bracing and bridge location. And it can impact sound.

While this link is for guitars, it's an interesting perspective on the evolution of 12-fret to 14-fret in the guitar world. I don't play guitar, but I've been told that 12-fret is again gaining popularity. Some people say they can hear a difference, with 12 allegedly offering better base and mid-range but I am skeptical that would stand up to any rigorous testing.

http://www.lutherie.net/12-14-evolution.html

Personally, I would default to whatever the luthier's more common build design is. I would not pass on a stellar uke based on number of frets clear. I don't play a ton up there in the 14+ fret range, but certainly notes here and there. It just doesn't make a difference to me. To somebody who makes their living up there in those higher frets, it certainly may.

Now, to bring it back here to the sale thread, who's going to snag this beauty? Custom Romero's don't come up for sale very often!

Gorgeous. Eddie. I have the Romero Tiny Tenor, which is not in the same class as this custom, but even on my manufactured one, the attention to detail and beauty is there. Someone will be very happy with this.

Thanks, Rappsy. It really has does have a wonderful tone. And so responsive. I enjoyed playing it for quite a bit Friday night and went to bed thinking I'd pull the listing and enjoy it a bit longer before possibly re-listing on FMM. Of course, Saturday AM I had two serious inquiries waiting in my inbox. One decided he could not part with the uke he'd need to sell (understandable as it happens to many of us) and the other is giving it a bit more thought.

If he does not pull the trigger, I've decided I will enjoy this one for a bit longer and may re-list on FMM in the future. I'll probably due a review on it, too, which I didn't do before as I didn't want to make it look like I was pumping it up for a sale.

Closing thread.

Ukulele Eddie
P.S. Will have some other ukes for sale over the next few months, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom