Honeytone battery life?

Kayak Jim

Reaction score
For those with the Danelectro Honeytone mini amp, how long a life do you generally get from a fresh 9 v. alkaline battery?

Considering getting one for travel.

Thanks

I really like my Honeytone! I guess battery life is going to depend on how much you play it. I haven't used mine too much, but I haven't changed the battery yet.

I have a Honeytone that I haven't used a couple of years, but all my little amps like that (I have 5) seem to last a number of hours.

I dont use mine for long periods at a time, mostly for checking connections when I am soldering cables or making a new pickup, for about 5-10 mins at a time, and doing so a few times per week, I have the original 9v battery in it for over 18 months now, so I'd guesstimate that you might be able to get about 8-10 hrs on a 9v with the volume at 50% and gain about 10%.

The louder you play it, the faster it drains the battery.

Also, I've run it on a 9v powersupply too, the OneSpot and it is a little louder when doing so because the OneSpot offers a higher current than a 9v battery. Remember, amps x volts = watts.

Also, keep in mind that the tiny speaker and the LM386N op-amp circuit that is inside is not going to win any awards for audio fidelity and the electronics inside seem to be based upon an amp design from the 1940s. As such, compared to even a small practice amp, such as a Fender Rumbler bass amp (~$70), with a uke plugged in, the Honeytone sounds like a toy or much like an AM radio compared to basically ANYTHING else. IMHO, it is more novelty than a musical item.

I think it was quoted as being around about 5hrs, but if you don't play it for too long at any one time that should increase.
They are only practice amps after all, not the best sounding, but good for hearing an 'electric', rather than having a 'quiet practice' session.
It was the first amp I bought, but soon got a Roland Micro Cube for my 'electrics'. Both are good for headphone practicing. :)

I have mine for four years, I don't play it often and changed the battery once, I do take it out after every use though

Mine has been in use for 3 years...........but I only play it a couple of time a year

Jim, you may also want to consider the Blackstar Fly. Slightly larger and a bit more expensive, but better sound.

Top Bottom