Another ukulele performer on a singing show (X-Factor UK)

Personally I thought Emily Middlemas looked like she would much rather have been playing a guitar, but had her arm bent by Simon Cowell to use a ukulele instead.

It wouldn't surprise me if Simon Cowell was trying to repeat the success he had with Grace VanDerwaal in America's Got Talent by again featuring a ukulele. I see also that Emily Middlemas is being accused of pinching the idea from Melanie Martinez's cover of the same song on The Voice. http://www.mirror.co.uk/3am/celebrity-news/x-factors-emily-middlemas-accused-9343715

Anyway, yes it's nice to see a ukulele played moderately competently on the telly, regardless of all the usual shenanigans that surround Syco productions.

She's not even playing the ukulele live. On the video I watched her arm movements are completely out of sync with the sound of the strumming!

I tried to see what kind of ukulele it was. On the pre song video it had a brand on the headstock but live it was unbranded. ;)

Looks like she's got one of them fancy ukuleles that plays itself (e.g. 0:27 - 0:34). Either that or she's just miming the ukulele to a prerecorded backing track...

I'm looking for one that sounds just like Jake when it plays itself. (It will never sound that good if I have to play it.)

But, still, I'm glad to see ukulele showing up on TV shows, even if mimed, and hope that will encourage others to give the instrument a try, even if most of us actually have to play it. Having ukuleles pop up on the various talent shows can only be good press for ukuleles, (I hope.)

But, still, I'm glad to see ukulele showing up on TV shows, even if mimed, and hope that will encourage others to give the instrument a try, even if most of us actually have to play it. Having ukuleles pop up on the various talent shows can only be good press for ukuleles, (I hope.)

Well, it's just a musical instrument. The more established it becomes, and the more seriously it is taken, the less of a sensational novelty it will be to write or report about. So when half the talk show hosts or articles zoom in on Grace/etc playing the ukulele, it somewhat highlights that the uke isn't yet accepted as just a regular instrument. There are established singers that use it also, like the excellent LP and luckily the focus here is more on her being an excellent artist rather than a singer who plays the ukulele.

Well, it's just a musical instrument. The more established it becomes, and the more seriously it is taken, the less of a sensational novelty it will be to write or report about. So when half the talk show hosts or articles zoom in on Grace/etc playing the ukulele, it somewhat highlights that the uke isn't yet accepted as just a regular instrument. There are established singers that use it also, like the excellent LP and luckily the focus here is more on her being an excellent artist rather than a singer who plays the ukulele.

LP is AMAZING! I just LOVE her music. I have been following her for a few years and I cannot believe that she is not more well known. Her songwriting is really poetic and meaningful and her singing is so evocative. Of course, also her playing the ukulele seals the deal for me :). I am simply transported to another place when I listen to her music.

She has quite a few vids on her YT channel (which I cannot seem to find ATM, but many vids of her songs show in the sidebar on YT if you click through to YT on the above video).

Thanks for posting this one Mivo. Sorry for the off-topic post.

Thanks for sharing. I agree with the others that she isn't actually playing live, but singing to a background track while somehow managing to not really play the ukulele--but it doesn't matter--the background track is a ukulele. It also appears that she might be holding a pick as she is playing, and there is nothing wrong with that--just a little different.

I adore Grace Vanderwaal, but do worry about her vocal health (the raspiness is in her spoken and singing voice), and Emily Middlemas has a much healthier voice--but Grace was rewarded for playing and singing her OWN music...the talent being the whole package. I follow her YouTube account, and what encourages me is that she is a normal 12-13 year old kid who just happens to write her own music, play ukulele, and sing. It was also fun to see Grace in the Macy's Thanksgiving Day parade...which was also pre-recorded audio.

Thanks again for sharing this and let us know if the ukulele pops up again in the show!

...It was also fun to see Grace in the Macy's Thanksgiving Day parade...which was also pre-recorded audio...

I saw that too! Even though it was her "hit", I thought the choice of that song was a little odd. It's kind of a deep and introspective song for such a celebratory event. They should of had her lip sync something a bit more light and fun.

Last edited:
...I adore Grace Vanderwaal, but do worry about her vocal health (the raspiness is in her spoken and singing voice)...

I was thinking the same thing about her voice/vocal health back when she was singing on America's Got Talent. Part of it may be her natural voice but she has an unusual affectation in her singing style which I think is intentional or deliberate and it sounds like it would be hard on her voice/vocal chords.

Top Bottom