FS: Tenor with side port. £1100

Pete Howlett

Reaction score
This is the second in my experiments with side ports. I am so pleased with the result that these are now offered as standard.

This model is all Korina including the neck but excluding fingerboard and bridge which are mgurure or leadwood - similar to African Blackwood only a Brazilian Rosewood brown. Re- entrant tuning with Worth strong. Also works for low G which I can fit for you no extra cost. Fitted with ebony end pin.

Priced in GBP because of fluctuating exchange rates but a bargain for US purchasers. Shipping is free for UK residents, £90 for worldwide. Comes with a hard shell case.

Photo 19-11-2016, 14 45 57.jpg

Attachments

• Photo 19-11-2016, 14 46 09.jpg
    Photo 19-11-2016, 14 46 09.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 162
I have a serious question.

I have a problem with you calling this a bargain. In my eyes this Uke is pretty much basic except for the side port but that side port can not be the reason why you ask 700 USD more than Kala for their Elite Mahogany Tenor Uke or 400 USD more than Imua for their solid Koa Tenor Uke

Do you use special bracings and/or tuners and/or other special constructions/components ?

I have a serious question....I have a problem with you calling this a bargain.
$1400 for a handmade uke from a world-class luthier. And not too long ago, the dollar/pound exchange would have pushed this uke over $2000. Yeah, that's a bargain.

ETA: $2K was a guess. Looking at xe.com, in June 2016, the cost would have been $1639

Last edited:
$1400 for a handmade uke from a world-class luthier. And not too long ago, the dollar/pound exchange would have pushed this uke over $2000. Yeah, that's a bargain.

ETA: $2K was a guess. Looking at xe.com, in June 2016, the cost would have been $1639

I do not doubt that this is a quality instrument made by a world class luthier. The thing is that I know what you can get for 1400 USD / 1300 EUR / 1100 GBP from other luthiers. You can have hand made basic Ukes for much less and therefore 1100 GBP is not a bargain. But ... again ... maybe there are reasons why this indeed is a bargain. His description is not very detailed.

Last edited:
I don't want to make assumptions, but I think the original post is referring the beating the sterling pound has taken of late making the exchange rate a bargain.

The Kala Elite mentioned by Ukador certainly seems like a bargain, considering it is made in U.S.

I agree that the bargain he is referring to is the exchange rate of the GBP to US dollars. Also don't think it's appropriate to comment negatively on the price someone posts for an item they are selling in a public forum. IMO, proper etiquette would be to send a private message regarding value if you have an interest in purchasing.

Mitch

Oh dear.... am I always to price my work below that of my American contemporaries? Hmmm. When I get back to the hotel I'll take this down. Prejudice is not only alive and well in politics but is still present in the ukulele world. And I thought the British were snobs....

You can have hand made basic Ukes for much less and therefore 1100 GBP is not a bargain.

One of the issues with your mindset is that you are comparing other companies to Pete's work--his pricing should be compared to his pricing, plain and simple. If he says this is a bargain for one of his instruments, I believe him. His recent trip to Hawaii seemed to verify his abilities as a luthier of world-class ukuleles.

If you want a Kala or a Imua--they are available. If you want a Pete Howlett, you aren't going to find those everywhere--or anywhere else, really.

Constructive criticism is allowed on this forum and I do not find a rule that states that this does not apply to the marketplace.

If you ask much more for your product than your competitors then the people you are trying to sell your product to should be allowed to ask why you ask much more.

Oh dear.... am I always to price my work below that of my American contemporaries? Hmmm. When I get back to the hotel I'll take this down. Prejudice is not only alive and well in politics but is still present in the ukulele world. And I thought the British were snobs....

I have heard only good things about your work sir.

Edited by Moderator ... comment was uncalled for and therefore deleted.

Last edited by a moderator:
Constructive criticism is allowed on this forum and I do not find a rule that states that this does not apply to the marketplace.

If you ask much more for your product than your competitors then the people you are trying to sell your product to should be allowed to ask why you ask much more.

You are correct, there are no rules against constructive criticism and certainly you may ask all of the questions you like. I was stating my opinion that I think it's inappropriate to question the price in a public forum.

Mitch

A Volkwagen cost less than an Audi, which costs less than a BMW which costs less than a Mercedes. You understand that. ........don't you.

Yours is not constructive criticisim. Yours is needless sniping. Unless you are seriously interested in buying it. If not then you are trolling.

There is, however, a rule that asks that one not be a jerk. IMO you are contributing nothing helpful to the thread, Ukador. Maybe you'd like to sit this one out.

With all due respect to Kala and Imua, they are not Mr. Howlett's "competitors". Look at Mya Moe, Beau Hannam, Ono, Barron River, or a number of other custom builders on this forum and see how far $1400 gets you.

And when was the last time you saw a Korina uke to compare to this one? Personally, this is the first I've heard of it. I think it's a great looking uke, "understated" perhaps, but it certainly showcases the wood, and I'm sure the sound and playability are impeccable coming from Pete.

You are correct, with the exception that this for sale ad is not the appropriate place to post your issue. The uke talk sub forum would be a more appropriate place. Any seller deserves the respect to be able to sell at a price they find fair without someone actively working against them. And I would check the rules again, most forums I'm a part of have clear expectations that your comment should not be placed on a for sale ad.

It's funny hearing ppl compare Kala brand to Master Pete Howlette's piece. I suggest that criticizer should study more about Pete Howlette Ukulele before making the comment : )

I price to my peers. I have video I'll put up when I return from Canada.... Korina is a real contender!

Custom builders Spend100% hands on, highly focused on the step in building a quality instrument. They are not only instilling the quality of years perfecting their skill and vision. They leave their personality in the wood from all the hours of concentration; rubbing and touching the wood. I trust anyone who's played a custom knows the difference.

An example would be a custom pine chain vs. an IKEA pine chair. Both are pine, well made and do the job meant for.

A custom gives you choice in the details of the build. Factory not so much.

You're right, there are hi quality factories making wonderful instruments. After so many years of playing string instruments (57) and improving the quality of the instruments, I know what I like in an instrument and custom Luthier's fit the bill. for myself, it's a reward for still playing after all these years and an instrument to pass on to the next generation of family pickers.

That was a valid question by the op. It's good to know the difference for those just starting out.

Last edited:
Beautiful and unique Uke! Thanks for posting. I can't afford it, I would love to just play it for a bit. Thanks Mr. Howlett.

Top Bottom