Away From The Uke for 2016 Bicycling Season. What Did I Miss?

Papa Tom

Reaction score
Wow! This is the first year I am really struggling to get my wrist and fingers moving after my annual April-October absence from playing uke every day. But that's beside the point...

I am back for another winter of entertaining myself with the four little four-stringed instruments I've purchased over the past few years and I'm wondering if I missed any "news" while I was busy taking bicycle tours.

Any good new (gently priced) ukes out there? Plastic, perhaps? Phenomenal new players to check out? Festivals/Expos coming to the New York area?

Please fill me in!

Caramel ukes, cheap but evidently good.
Outdoor Ukulele plastic tenors have been mentioned quite a lot.
There's been a few new names appearing, both ukes & players.

Just what comes to mind. :)

Plastic, perhaps?
Outdoor Ukulele soprano (the current version, not the old one). I let the one I had go to a fellow UU member, but they are really good instruments. $95 including USPS priority mail shipping. In my opinion it's a good value. I also had the tenor at $145. Also a really good instrument.
Those were probably out before your break though...I can't remember when they were released. They do have that new "moonshine" color. That's what I had with the soprano. Really cool look.

You caught that it was Kamaka's 100th? If so..that was the big news. A few good ukulele festivals here and there.
And unfortunately, Martin did nothing for their ukulele centennial. Dick Boak said that they may do something next year, (100 years since the ukulele entered their catalog). I requested that they finally produce a Martin Ukulele Model #4, (Frank Henry must have left 4 vacant for a reason). He said that he liked the idea, but he may have just been being nice.

Last edited:
You missed many, many good posts on UU!
Welcome back....

I do a six week biking/ camping trip every summer in Denmark, Germany, Holland and Belgium, mostly flat, sixty miles per day. I carry a Teton tenor with me wrapped up in a waterproof bag. Love that uke. Got it from Mim.

Just out of curiosity, might I ask what kind of bicycling that you do all summer that precludes you from playing and enjoying your ukuleles?

Top Bottom