Ukulele Display

Django

Reaction score
C2.jpgC1.jpg
I blame my wife for my instrument displays. She hates having cases strewn about, and she likes to see my instruments, so I converted an old china closet into a display case for my guitars. The guitars gave way to ukuleles and a bit of UAS, so a larger case was in order. Now the collection is too large to fit into the cabinet, so I took a derelict clock case an went to work. I paneled the inside with bead board so that the instrument would display well, replaced the missing cabinet parts and veneer and replaced the glass with UV filtering acrylic made for cases, (as I did with the large cabinet). I installed a stubby String Swing and a hygrometer.

It would be nice to see what others are doing to display their instruments safely. I do not recommend the clock case approach. It cost more in time and money than I had expected, (labor of love). I hope that I am not alone in my obsession. Cabinet.jpg

As a side note, that is a custom Laughlin 3K , 1920 style, (not a mint Martin 3K). Tim does a great job and in my opinion, his Martin copies are underpriced. Wonderful instrument.

I guess that this is a little "Shameless Self Promotion" too. I'm glad that my wife doesn't like cases.

Last edited:
Very nice, but . . . I think you maybe need a few more ukes . . . ;)

Nice displays. The multi unit cabinet is very impressive. Besides humidistat what do you use to keep humidity in cabinet at acceptable levels?

Very nice! Thanks for sharing.

Nice displays. The multi unit cabinet is very impressive. Besides humidistat what do you use to keep humidity in cabinet at acceptable levels?
In the summer, the wooden cabinet takes care of itself. In the winter I keep a few open containers of distilled water in the case. That keeps it between 45 and 50% even in New Hampshire.

Great idea!

Now I wish I had the room for one of those!

Nice. I own the sister to your Laughlin 3K kite/bow tie-- the only two Tim made; as seen in my profile pic. :cool:

Beautiful! We don't have expensive ukes, or very much room, so they sit in their cases when not being played. Our Tiny Tenor does sit on a stand on the dining room table, because we like walking by and grabbing it. It stays in tune, too.

Those display cases look wonderful and with the 'Wife Acceptance Factor" you cannot go wrong.

I have too many ukes in cases now due to the winter's low humidity in my house, each with a case humidifier, and have often thought of building a cabinet that is both display and climate control, but due to lack of both time and money have not been able to yet.

I figured that when the time came, I'd likely be looking at converting something from IKEA, sealing it with silicone and putting glass/plexi/acrylic doors on it, similar to the project done before by fellow UU brother kohanmike, but I'd want mine more shallow so the ukes could face front and I could see them, instead of them hanging facing each other like in kohanmike's cabinet...but this would take up lots of wall space, but should be ok since I dont have any fancy art to compete with on the wall.

However, I think you cabinets are very well done. Thanks for sharing this project with us :)

I converted a shelf into a humidity controlled cabinet by lining all the edges with door jamb insulating foam tape and lexan doors fit tight. I put in two covered trays with water (you see only one) and slide the covers to control the humidity using an analog and a digital hygrometer.

Shelf w Godin 1024.jpg

Wish I could get my projects done. I've one just like your first one with the martin replica, all I have to do is hang it up. The others are downstairs and are double glass doors, very tall. Almost to the ceiling. All they need is some boards horizontal and the uke holders. I really need to get on this!! Yours are great BTW!

Hey Django thanks for sharing the pictures of your display cases. I love how much "pure class" the cases give to your beautiful ukulele collection. Great instruments deserve it.

It's a good thing they are not all baritones.........you would need a lot more cases.:D

Last edited:
Django, I like what you have done. The "clock case" is particularly unique and well done. I may look to do something similar if my instrument collection increases. A while back, I repurposed an old TV Cabinet that held a TV I didn't watch, and booze we didn't drink, into an instrument cabinet to store the ukuleles and guitar. There are monitors for humidity but I have not needed to adjust rH because of the temperate climate where we live. I usually leave the cabinet open during the day so that the instruments are readily at hand and close it up when the younger grandchildren are visiting. Also, the cabinet seems to enhance the sound for the Bluetooth speaker (our high-end hi-if system). Here are some pics:

The cabinet actually sits upright (ha ha) i just don't know how to orient the photos that way - sorry.

Attachments

• IMG_0084.JPG
    IMG_0084.JPG
    75.9 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_0083.JPG
    IMG_0083.JPG
    79 KB · Views: 30
A while back, I repurposed an old TV Cabinet that held a TV I didn't watch, and booze we didn't drink, into an instrument cabinet to store the ukuleles and guitar. There are monitors for humidity but I have not needed to adjust rH because of the temperate climate where we live. I usually leave the cabinet open during the day so that the instruments are readily at hand and close it up when the younger grandchildren are visiting. Also, the cabinet seems to enhance the sound for the Bluetooth speaker (our high-end hi-if system). Here are some pics:

The cabinet actually sits upright (ha ha) i just don't know how to orient the photos that way - sorry.
Your cabinet looks great. I'm all for the re-purposing idea. It's nice to have the instruments protected and visible too. An instrument should appeal to multiple senses. I am hoping to see more display cabinets shown here. I told my wife that we may need a larger house. That look was a little scary.

I do appreciate all of the kind comments. There are not a lot of ukulele enthusiasts around here, so it is nice to show them off to people that actually know what they are and have an appreciation.

I converted a shelf into a humidity controlled cabinet by lining all the edges with door jamb insulating foam tape and lexan doors fit tight. I put in two covered trays with water (you see only one) and slide the covers to control the humidity using an analog and a digital hygrometer.

Shelf w Godin 1024.jpg
Nice idea, especially for the larger instruments. I like the variety of your collection. If they were all in the cases you might not know which one you were taking out to play.

Nice idea, especially for the larger instruments. I like the variety of your collection. If they were all in the cases you might not know which one you were taking out to play.

Thanks Django, and you have a very nice selection as well. Once a week I play at the Vet Hospital with two harmonica players so I rotate my ukes weekly. I actually have one more in the works, no top sound hole, but it has a side sound hole and small sound holes all the way around the sides, very unique. It will have solid spalted mango on top and curly mango sides and back.

side holes.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom