What is the best way to ship a uke?

Gmountain

Reaction score
Hi. I'm new here, and I don't even own a uke. But...I got a family member one for Christmas and now I have to ship it across the country.

It's not super expensive, but it isn't plastic either.

What is the best way to ship it? A gig bag? Or should I think about a polyfoam case? 24 1/2 inches long ( bottom to top of headstock) Lower bout is 8" and upper bout is 6".

Should I just bubble wrap this thing and ship it in a box with styro peanuts?

Any help is appreciated.

I would ship it with a gig bag, then bubble wrap and styro peanuts.

And pay for insurance, with a signature.

Thanks. Should I detune it a half step or is string tension not something to worry about?

I've shipped ukes in gig bags. Uke in the bag, the bag cocooned in bubble wrap, and the whole lot placed inside a large polythene mailing bag (taped down snugly to the contents). This has worked fine.

Alternatively I've shipped ukes in boxes. Ideally the box the instrument came in and, even better, that box placed inside a slightly larger box (like Russian dolls :)). I've had instruments shipped to me this way too.

One thing I would say is make sure the instrument is covered for loss/damage up to its full value if possible. Some couriers exclude musical instruments from higher levels of cover. It's worth checking :)

Last edited:
I like those hard foam cases (light) in a cardboard box with some packing like wadded up paper. I hate Styrofoam, it's a pollutant.

Really important is to not let the bubble wrap touch the instrument. There is a chance that it will react with the finish and damage it. Like Sam and Jolly said, it should be put in a gigbag or a case first, and then the bubble wrap around the case or the bag.

Top Bottom