"The Ukulele Shop" has closed down - Does anyone know why???

dirk.li

Reaction score
Aachen, Germany (As exciting as an empty parking-l
Hello everybody,

I've just found out that "the Ukulele Shop" (www.ukuleleshop.co.uk) has closed down. :eek: Does anybody know why?
They were the only reliable Kanile'a and Ohana dealers in Europe. :( Or do you know any others (except RISA)? Do you know if it's difficult to run an ukulele business in Europe? :rolleyes:

Thanks for your answers if you have any...

Keep uke'ing! :shaka:

Its soooo sooo difficult to get to actually see any decent Uks in the uke, all the music shops I've visited only seem to have those dinky coloured things for a 20 quid, thats pounds to all you lucky state siders:)

If those dinky coloured things say "Makala" on them then they are much, much better than nothing. Get a set of concert Aquilas on a Makala dolphin and it makes a very brave attempt to fill the void until a real ukulele comes along. :D

Don't get me wrong, i wasn't knocking them as it was one of those from ebay for our grandaughter that gave me the bug in the first place.
Even my wife wanted one.

If those dinky coloured things say "Makala" on them then they are much, much better than nothing. Get a set of concert Aquilas on a Makala dolphin and it makes a very brave attempt to fill the void until a real ukulele comes along. :D

Those dinky coloured things say "mahalo" over here in scandinavia. They've got thick layers of paint and intonation is usually in the wild blue yonder, but that isn't such a big problem when the bridge comes off. :(

Those dinky coloured things say "mahalo" over here in scandinavia. They've got thick layers of paint and intonation is usually in the wild blue yonder, but that isn't such a big problem when the bridge comes off. :(

IMHO, Makalas are much better than the equivalent Mahalos. Once the action on a Makala is lowered to within a foot or so of the fretboard, the intonation is pretty good.

As for Deach's theory about MGM... Well, at this rate most of Europe might well end up shopping in his store. His reputation plus European uke shop closure - all roads seem to be leading that way. :D

thats a shame. :( hey if it is going on a closing down sale you should probubly go ahead and buy some of there ukes. I saw a Pono on there for around 400 bucks. Regularly priced at around well double that.

all roads seem to be leading that way. :D

Except the exchange rate. I wish I'd have bought that Sceptre from him last year when it would have cost about two thirds what it does now.

hey if it is going on a closing down sale you should probubly go ahead and buy some of there ukes.

Too late now. They're officially closed.

Now, How Stupid do I feel

Well, if you import an uke from the US (to Germany at least), be prepaired to pay some custom dues. I don't know about the UK, but in Germany I have to pay +19% EEC tax +3.7% on instruments = add 22.7% to the original US price.

I'd like to know how much you have to pay for importing ukes from the US to the UK. I'd like to know that. :)

I'd like to know how much you have to pay for importing ukes from the US to the UK. I'd like to know that. :)
I've imported a few guitars to the UK from Japan and the import duty is actually not high, about 2 or 3% if I remember rightly. The killer is the 15% VAT which is charged on the purchase price AND the import duty AND the postage, then the post office charge you £13 to collect it from you and they won't give it to you 'til you've paid! On a £500 guitar it would add about £90 to the price.
I was going to get a Stewmac Uke kit ($99) but then the exchange rate went loopy and the extras would now add about £30 - £35 to the price I think.
Cheers,
Ian.

Well, if you import an uke from the US (to Germany at least), be prepaired to pay some custom dues. I don't know about the UK, but in Germany I have to pay +19% EEC tax +3.7% on instruments = add 22.7% to the original US price.

I'm glad it don't work that way both directions, I'd like to get a custom Bruko ukulele one day since I can't afford a BMW, Porche, or Mercedes Benz.

I've imported a few guitars to the UK from Japan and the import duty is actually not high, about 2 or 3% if I remember rightly. The killer is the 15% VAT which is charged on the purchase price AND the import duty AND the postage, then the post office charge you £13 to collect it from you and they won't give it to you 'til you've paid! On a £500 guitar it would add about £90 to the price.
I was going to get a Stewmac Uke kit ($99) but then the exchange rate went loopy and the extras would now add about £30 - £35 to the price I think.
Cheers,
Ian.

I think I'll wait till this credit crunch thing sorts its self out, or just take a holiday to the islands..... I wish:rotfl::uhoh:

Top Bottom