LMI Gramil

miche

Reaction score
I am at a stage where I want to practice cutting binding channels and after some research I really like the look of the LMIi gramil. However I am located in the U.K. So I know if I buy one I will be hit with those custom charges. With that in mind I want to try and make one and I just wondered if anyone had successfully managed to make anything similarly by hand.
Thank you

First one is used with two hands, the simpler second lot with one hand. I would go with the second but substitute the blades for something a bit thicker/heavier. You can secure it by winding it with cotton thread. Touch of candle wax on the foot and the blade helps, scribble a bit on the instrument too.

The gramil tool is probably about thousand years old or even older and a great classic design, but this is an operation that I opt for high speed spinning bits of steel in an electric router. Does the job pretty good and if done carefully is safe. Cheap too. It always seemed to me that the SMD gramil tool was a bit overpriced. If that is the direction you want to go, I would opt for Michael's method and make your own. That in itself is an art-form and making art is what it is all about. Well almost what it is all about...

Hans van Velzen does a very nice gramil tool, but it ain't cheap. I like the lmii one, and the Hock blades are very good.

Ebay have cheap brass ones from china- it's what i use. Im sure the LMI one is better for 4 times the price.

Top Bottom