Going Wireless

Michael Smith

Reaction score
I put a Baggs 5.0 in a customers instrument. He decided he wants to go wireless back to his amp. None of the units he has tried will work with the Baggs due to the builtin preamp in the Baggs. Same problem with the MISI. Does anyone have any insight on this problem.

Perhaps the most simple fix is to put a passive pickup in his instrument.

There has to be a fix. A lot of guitar players play with active setups and wireless. I had a Les Paul with active but never went wireless with that one.
I really like the 5.0 and won't go back to the others unless they really insist.
I'd like to hear how this turns out.

I use a Sony DWZ B30 kit, both receiver on the amp side and the transmitter on the uke side are battery operated, the receiver does have an a/c adapter too. Works for all my active and passive bass ukes, but all my tenor ukes have preamps so I'm not sure, but the system has been excellent for me. I love not being tethered to the amp.

Sony DWZ B30.jpg

With wireless systems in general....Spend as much as possible!
The Shure GLX-D 16 is designed for instruments the receiver is a pedal tuner. I use this with active basses all the time and have no problems. That said, it operates in the 2.4 GHZ band which is unlicensed and can be problematic. The QLX-D and ULX-D body packs have an "Auto Sensing" circuit so active vs passive is no problem.

Shure_GLXD16.jpgHandler.jpg

I use a Baggs 5.0 and a Line6 Relay G30 wireless -> Boss RV-3 -> Baggs Para DI. Works great.

I use a Baggs 5.0 and a Line6 Relay G30 wireless -> Boss RV-3 -> Baggs Para DI. Works great.

That sounds like the way to go... I don't use wireless, but I do have a Baggs 5.0 and I'm very happy with it. It does tend to overdrive and distort at higher volumes at anything over about 5. Just turn down the uke and turn up the amp, but my biggest quibble is the high price. $150.00!!! Gimme a break. No chance.

Top Bottom