Cocobolo color bleed?

Ukemakinmecrazy

Reaction score
I saw on a guitar builder's site that he takes steps to ensure cocobolo doesn't bleed onto lighter woods when he uses cocobolo for binding and trim. Apparently the extra oily wood is a threat to bleed over? I plan a fretboard, bridge and bindings made of cocobolo, so should I seal the Cherry body before attaching the binding?

cocobolo bleeds when you put finish on it- it doesn't bleed when "dry".

Before i spray nitro on cocobolo (or any rosewood, i seal it with a quick wipe of shellac

I have never had a problem with cocobolo bleeding. Never a worry for me. I love the stuff and it bends so politely. My biggest worry is getting sensitized to the stuff. No problem so far.... You know I take that back. With a high alcohol shellac brush coat I have seen cocobolo put off a red stain but it was not a problem and even looked good. It is an oily wood and does have a reddish sap. I've said this before and I will say it again: cocobolo looks great when you first use it but after a decade or so is going change to a color that looks like something that came out of the back end of cow if if you get my drift. Brown in the extreme. Carp Diem!

I have never had a problem with cocobolo bleeding. Never a worry for me. I love the stuff and it bends so politely. My biggest worry is getting sensitized to the stuff. No problem so far.... You know I take that back. With a high alcohol shellac brush coat I have seen cocobolo put off a red stain but it was not a problem and even looked good. It is an oily wood and does have a reddish sap. I've said this before and I will say it again: cocobolo looks great when you first use it but after a decade or so is going change to a color that looks like something that came out of the back end of cow if if you get my drift. Brown in the extreme. Carp Diem!

Have you heard of the use of a coat of Armor All on the wood prior to finishing to keep the color from changing? Just wondering if there is any merit to it.

a quick google search found silicone as an ingredient. Silicone in general is a big nono in the finish room because it will make a lot of finishes fisheye.

Nelson

Top Bottom